Mince Pies?

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
11:53 AM
6B018E42-0E08-4B0C-BC94-401B466A7521.jpeg
Mincepies? Yes or no?

I’ve just taken my first homemade ones out of the oven, but must admit I’ve worked my way though a box of shop bought ones.
Do you like them?

Is it a British thing(I think so?)?

Beef mince yummy, fruit mince no,

Russ

Originally, mince pies did contain meat - usually mutton mixed with spices such as cinnamon, cloves, saffron and fruits. The origins can be traced back to the early Crusaders who brought back recipes from the Middle East. It wasn't until the 1800's that a meatless version appeared:

As sugar became cheaper and easier to get, thanks to the rise of sugarcane plantations in the West Indies, sweet pies seem to have grown more common. In 1861, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management gave instructions for a meat-free sweet version alongside a meaty one. And by the Victorian era mince pies were firmly in the sugary camp.

And apparently they do have a history in the USA:

Mincemeat pie was brought to New England by English settlers in the 17th century.[23] While it was originally a Christmas pie, as in Britain, the Puritans did not celebrate Christmas, causing the pie's associations in the region to shift toward the American holiday of Thanksgiving. The ingredients for New England mincemeat pie are similar to the British one, with a mixture of apples, raisins, spices, and minced beef serving as the filling.[23] Later recipes sometimes omit the beef, though "None Such" (now owned by The J.M. Smucker Company), the major brand of condensed American mincemeat, still contains beef. New England mincemeat pies are usually full-sized pies, as opposed to the individual-sized pies now common in Britain.

Has anyone here had a New England mince pie?

* Source: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171208-the-strange-and-twisted-history-of-mince-pies

View attachment 21381 Mincepies? Yes or no?

I’ve just taken my first homemade ones out of the oven, but must admit I’ve worked my way though a box of shop bought ones.
Do you like them?

Fantastic! My baking skills mean that I couldn't reach the standard of Tesco's Finest, so I don't bother trying.

I quite like one, now and then but I have not had one this year. I don't think I have ever made any but my memory is a bit flaky.

I've never been a fan. My mum used to make them back in the day.

I've never liked mince pies or Christmas pudding, but this year I decided I was going to try them both again (after all, tastes change!). And now I do rather like mince pies....I only wish I'd tried them earlier in December so I could have had more of them :laugh:

Still don't like Christmas pudding though :p:

View attachment 21381 Mincepies? Yes or no?

Do you like them?

It's done down here. I have a frame that lets you make 9 at a time. I'll put pic up later. My last were steak n kidney.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom