Mint sauce

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
8:25 AM
rascal, you and I share a love of lamb, but I reckon you eat more mint sauce than the rest of us put together. Could you possibly share your recipe please? My wife was making some earlier, trying to emulate a recipe from childhood memories, chopped mint scalded with boiling water, malt vinegar and salt added. We weren't sure about adding sugar - a vague memory. Would appreciate your thoughts.

rascal, you and I share a love of lamb, but I reckon you eat more mint sauce than the rest of us put together. Could you possibly share your recipe please? My wife was making some earlier, trying to emulate a recipe from childhood memories, chopped mint scalded with boiling water, malt vinegar and salt added. We weren't sure about adding sugar - a vague memory. Would appreciate your thoughts.
I have never been a fan of mint sauce with lamb. Not to say that I do not enjoy using fresh mint in the seasoning rub. I think it is a childhood thing. I remember one time when Mother cooked lamb. She and Dad were hosting dinner party for friends. Mom fed us - the children early and sent us to our rooms with instructions to not interrupt her dinner party. We had sandwiches -not lamb. I think the guest were important for Dad's career. Not people we knew. I am the eldest of 7 children. After the guest left I showed up in the kitchen to help Mom clean up. I tasted the lamb - it was cooked well done and the mint was jarred mint jelly. It was decades before I tried lamb again. I am still not a fan of mint with lamb.

Recipe - Rascal's Mint sauce

I make about 3 or 4 times a year.

Yes I love it.
The smell cooking it fills the house.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been a fan of mint sauce with lamb. Not to say that I do not enjoy using fresh mint in the seasoning rub. I think it is a childhood thing. I remember one time when Mother cooked lamb. She and Dad were hosting dinner party for friends. Mom fed us - the children early and sent us to our rooms with instructions to not interrupt her dinner party. We had sandwiches -not lamb. I think the guest were important for Dad's career. Not people we knew. I am the eldest of 7 children. After the guest left I showed up in the kitchen to help Mom clean up. I tasted the lamb - it was cooked well done and the mint was jarred mint jelly. It was decades before I tried lamb again. I am still not a fan of mint with lamb.
Mint jelly is not the same, and is way too sweet to serve with lamb. Mint sauce is vinegar based, so the sharpness cuts through the richness of the lamb.

Back
Top Bottom