Recipe Miso & Achiote Devilled Eggs

Discussion in 'Eggs, Cheese and Dairy' started by morning glory, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

The Mexican spice achiote (annatto) has a wonderful ability to colour food yellow. Its often used in the manufacture of margarine, butter and cheese to achieve a golden colour. If you steep shelled hard boiled eggs in an achiote water salutation they will turn a beautiful yellow colour and take on a subtle flavour of achiote. The white miso filling adds a spicy kick. Feel free to adjust the strength of the curry powder (or chilli) you use. You could use mayonnaise instead of yoghurt if you prefer.

fullsizeoutput_4980.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3):
    3 shelled hard-boiled eggs
    1 tsp of achiote paste or powder dissolved in enough water to cover the eggs when placed in a beaker/bowl
    1 tsp white miso paste
    1 tbs medium curry powder or garam masala plus chilli powder
    Scant 2 tbsp thick Greek style yoghurt
    Chilli flakes to sprinkle

Method
    1. Place the eggs in a beaker or bowl.
    2. Cover the eggs with the achiote solution and leave to steep for 5 hr or more.
    3. Drain, halve and scoop out the yolks into a bowl.
    4. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
    5. Add salt to taste (you may not need any, depending on the saltiness of the miso).
    6. Pile the mixture into the hard-boiled egg whites and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
    fullsizeoutput_497d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_497c.jpeg

2. rascal

rascal Über Member

Beautiful,again mg. we call them curried eggs down here, everyone loves my way, with store bought curry powder and mayo. ( home made) dash of paprika over the top for some colouring as well. Oh, and I pipe the filling, gives a nice shape. Would love to try yours!!

Russ

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I must practice piping (not my strong point!).

rascal likes this.
  4. rascal

rascal Über Member

The only time I use a piping bag.

Russ