Local time
2:33 AM
Ingredients

3 cups caster sugar
1 cup water
1 cup single cream
2 tablespoons white miso paste

Method

Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Then without stirring - as this will cause the mixture to crystallise - bring the mixture to the boil. When the mixture is a dark golden brown, remove the mixture from the heat.

Carefully pour in the cream, being careful as this will cause the caramel to bubble. Stir to combine.

Stir or whisk in the miso paste until it is completely combined. Leave to cool slightly.

(I made the mistake of using dark Muscovado sugar instead of caster sugar. This made the sauce very thick and difficult to work with, and also overpowered the miso somewhat.)

Recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson.

Ingredients

3 cups caster sugar
1 cup water
1 cup single cream
2 tablespoons white miso paste

Method

Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Then without stirring - as this will cause the mixture to crystallise - bring the mixture to the boil. When the mixture is a dark golden brown, remove the mixture from the heat.

Carefully pour in the cream, being careful as this will cause the caramel to bubble. Stir to combine.

Stir or whisk in the miso paste until it is completely combined. Leave to cool slightly.

I'm thinking this must be a little like salted caramel? I think the miso would add a lovely savoury dimension. Also, there are probably lots of ways this caramel could be used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom