Mixing your own spices

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
9:08 AM
I recently needed Cajun Seasoning for a recipe I was making and traveled to 3 different stores on the hunt for it. I could not find it anywhere and so I decided to research how to make my own, which was much easier than trying a locate a store to buy a bottle. I found a recipe online and mixed my own spice blend; which turned out good and did not cost me a penny because I already had the spices. It got me to thinking about how much money I spend on mixed spices and made me decide to start making my own in the future. Do you buy your spice mixes or make them from scratch?

I usually do all of my spices from scratch, so I 'blend' my own in the recipe. the only exception as been a particularly good blend of Garam Masala which Barts do and the combination I have not been able to repeat, so that is the only blend I purchase. all of the others are from scratch.

I have also always wanted to make my spices myself but never knew where to start. Thanks for posing this question, I am eager to hear more suggestions so that I put them to use. SatNav, if you don't mind could you please throw in a bit of how to make your own spice recipe my way. Thanks!

I think the only spice blend that I would not want to mess with is Old Bay Seasoning. It is a seasoning I use a lot with seafood dishes and chicken. It has a great mixture of lots of unknown flavors inside and I think it is perfect from the store. Some of the other spice blends I know of are easy to mimic and much more inexpensive when you make your own.

In the origins of curry ,cooked by the British in India ,the biggest skill was mixing the spices blended by the locals,and it is a skill ,still if you mix your own spices you can add more or omit spices to your own taste,I tend to roast whole spices and p and m them to a powder as required

I have also always wanted to make my spices myself but never knew where to start. Thanks for posing this question, I am eager to hear more suggestions so that I put them to use. SatNav, if you don't mind could you please throw in a bit of how to make your own spice recipe my way. Thanks!
I have made a start on putting up the 'recipes' for some of the ones I use. If you have any requests let me know!

Thank you for that, I will be sure to let you know! I can't wait to see what I can do with making my own spices.

I have plans to do this, but I haven't collected everything I need to get started. I use a lot of ingredients fresh so I'd have to sort out drying and storing and so forth, but recently I started a separate pin board for for blends I have found online. It also includes condiments, dips and sauces. Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/food-condiments-dips-sauces-and-spice-blends/

Back
Top Bottom