Recipe Mochiko Chicken

mjd

Veteran
Local time
3:59 AM
MJ's comments: The Mochiko makes this dish a bit sweet. I don't care for overly sweet dishes for dinner/supper so I cut it with AP flour. My preference is over rice but get creative! Yummy!

Mochiko Chicken

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Servings 3
Source: Tarasmulticulturaltable.com

INGREDIENTS

1 large egg

2 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons mochiko flour

3 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Pinch salt

2 green onions finely chopped

1 clove garlic minced

1/2 teaspoon grated ginger

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs

For Serving:

Vegetable oil for frying

Thinly sliced green onions for garnish

Sesame seeds for garnish, optional

Steamed white rice

Hawaiian macaroni salad

Shredded cabbage

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine the egg, soy sauce, mochiko, cornstarch, sugar, salt, chopped green onions, garlic, and ginger.

Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to gently flatten the chicken. Slice into about 2 inch pieces. Add the pieces to the marinade and toss to thoroughly coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 15-30 minutes before frying.

In a large wok, bring 1 inch of vegetable oil to high heat. Once heated and shimmering, reduce heat to medium.

Gently place 7-9 pieces of chicken into the oil. Be careful not to overcrowd. Fry for 2 1/2-3 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Remove any pieces of batter between batches of chicken.

Top with green onions and (optionally) sesame seeds and serve on its own or paired with rice, shredded cabbage, and/or macaroni salad.

Source: Mochiko Chicken (Hawaiian Fried Chicken)

Back
Top Bottom