Mofongo

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:13 AM
Has anyone ever tried Mofongo? It is a Puerto Rican dish with fried, green plantain as its base. I have yet to try/make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. But then its very difficult to obtain plantain here unless you are near an Afro Caribbean market. Last time I cooked plantain I was living in Dalston, London right next to such a market! I still miss that market 28 years on...

Nope. But then its very difficult to obtain plantain here unless you are near an Afro Caribbean market. Last time I cooked plantain I was living in Dalston, London right next to such a market! I still miss that market 28 years on...

Not even frozen?

I love plantain and was introduced to it by a Jamaican friend. As @morning glory says it is not available everywhere in the UK. In East London you can buy it from local shops as well as the supermarkets, here too in the Midlands it is easy to buy. I've only ever fried it to go with Jamaican curry though.

Wow, I can't imagine that with all those Ex-Caribbean colonies from the past.

Strangely its not so - Indian ingredients are much more easily available. Afro Caribbean ingredients tend to be only available where there are concentrated Afro Caribbean populations. Even in London you will only see plantains in certain quarters. I could maybe get them on-line but last time I looked (which was not long ago as there was a banana/plantain challenge on another website, I couldn't find any. Its probably seasonal.

...I have managed to find some on-line but the delivery cost is not worth it unless I buy a lot of other things as well.

97a1b851-0bd0-4ba8-8613-eca0985ca13f-jpeg.13973

I ate this pork mofongo at Emeril’s New Orleans Fish House in Las Vegas in February. It was spectacular, and it's on my ever-expanding "to do" list.

Here's the full post so you can see the rest of the bayou country things we got.

I've had Mofongo many times, from the basic veggie one to those with pulled pork, shrimp, or chicken added. It's one of those "everyone has their own family secret", or, "there is only 1 way to make it" kind of universally cultural things. As my mom would say, it's "rib stickin' kind of food".

I used to coach a Little League baseball team in my old town that had a growing community of people form the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. I was lucky enough to select a really great bunch of kids for my team one year, most of them 1st generation Americans whose parents didn't always speak English from the Caribbean..
When we had team parties, mofongo and other dishes with plantains were almost always on the table. In fact, when we won the championship in 2014, some of the moms would shout "Platano Power!" as we crushed the other little rugrat teams with inferior and lazy coaches.
Oops, sorry, that slipped out.

But seriously, here's my team:

Wawel 2014.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic of the team, I coached a team of 13 softball years here about 20 years ago. My wife was on the club committee and came home one night and said this team was uncontrollable, 2 coaches had quit. I like a challenge, so I took the team on. I rang everyone and gave them a time after school to all meet. 3 kids turned up, I took them to McDonald's and said order what ever you want. They had a great time. Next week.....I had the full squad the next week,lol. We got on real good, the team finished 3rd in the comp compared to never won a game. I'm still friends with about 5 of them on fb now after all that time.
Sorry for digressing, but your pic reminded me.lol.

Russ

In the days when I used to be able to eat cooked bananas, I used to have plaintain quite a lot (when I lived in Brixton and Battersea). Unfortunately it is now on the "banned" list as far as I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom