Recipe & Video Moist 'n chewy chocolate chip cookies with no butter

madebyyouandi

Local time
8:23 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
Around the time I first joined, I was asking questions about cookies using only egg yolks. As far as I can tell, there are no other cookies like this one. These cookies use only egg yolks, no butter or other fat, yet they are very moist and chewy. I've created a whole bunch of variations but these are what I'd like to introduce you to. They really are delicious and can help you cut the calorie content in half without losing any of the flavor or texture of a regular chocolate chip cookie.

cookies-4.jpg

The video is useful so you can see the texture you're going for when mixing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZVK8B9TJ0

• 2 egg yolks-
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar-
  • 1/2 cup milk powder or whey protein-
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder-
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda-
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla-
  • 1/2 cup flour-
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips and/or walnuts-
  • 1 - 3 tablespoons liquid (water, flavoring, milk, espresso, rum are all great choices)

1. Cream the sugar with the egg yolks and vanilla (food processor is fastest, but you don't need one).
  2. Add the whey, baking powder, baking soda and mix to incorporate.
  3. Add the flour and mix to incorporate.
  4. At this point, your dough will either come together or not. It depends on the size of egg yolks and the humidity in the air. Assuming it hasn't, you add one tablespoon liquid and mix. Mine always comes together after one or two tablespoons of liquid. (The video can show you the texture, clearly.)
  5. Shape into cookies.
  6. Bake for NINE minutes at 350F/180C.
  7. Cool and enjoy.

(Note: You can make these with a sugar substitute but they will not be moist or chewy. If you want to cut the sugar (or calories) further, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 erythritol is as low as you can take it and retain the chew.)

I was thinking looking at the title that I might have found a recipe I could use for a nice (dairy free) chocolate chip cookie. But it was not to be.

1/2 cup milk powder or whey protein
1/2 cup chocolate chips
These cookies use only egg yolks, no butter or other fat, yet they are very moist and chewy

That statement is simply not true. If your ingredients contain fat, then your recipe does as well. An example is I could say "no oil or fat added" because a (mythical) recipe uses peanut butter when we all know peanuts contain a high percentage of fat/oil, so anything made with it also contains peanut fat/oil.

If you use both the milk powder and the chocolate chips in this recipe, you are adding 43g of fat not taking into account the egg yolks (2 egg yolks should be less than 3g of fat).
  • 17g of fat in the form of your milk powder. (1 cup of milk powder contains 34g of fat.)
  • AND an additional 25g of fat from half a cup of chocolate chips (1 cup of generic chocolate chips has roughly 50g of fat).
If you use whey protein powder and don't add the chocolate chips, you'll drop the added fat to 1g at which point you'd be able to claim no other fat except the egg yolks but only if you don't add the chocolate, but not if using milk powder.

You might not be adding butter directly but the milk powder contains all the dehydrated components of butter because butter and milk powder have the same origin.

That statement is simply not true. If your ingredients contain fat, then your recipe does as well. An example is I could say "no oil or fat added" because a (mythical) recipe uses peanut butter when we all know peanuts contain a high percentage of fat/oil, so anything made with it also contains peanut fat/oil.
I didn't say my recipe contains no fat. I said no fat in addition to the egg yolk. As everyone here will know, CCC contain a lot of butter; there is no butter or other fat in the dough. Now where I could make a correction is to distinguish the "cookie base" from the "mix ins". Myself, I assume the reader/viewer would know the difference especially as a the mixins can be neither moist nor chewy.

Since I feel like quibbling atm, my statement " These cookies use only egg yolks, no butter or other fat..." assumes the fat in the egg yolk but no other fat. Again, I assume a person on a cooking forum knows that yolks have fat, so that other is clear.

As for milk powder, that seems to be a country by country thing. In Japan, only skim milk powder is sold (because fat destabilises shelf life) while in India both are sold side by side. Again, I assume the reader is smart enough to know and I'm not making a claim these are fat-free.

On a side note, here they sell protein powders made with soy milk. Now I've not tried this, but I wonder if you could make these dairy-free by substituting soy milk powder. Also, because so many Asian people are lactose intolerant, in Japan, China, and Korea they sell dairy-free chocolate chips. You could use those. Just saying.

In other news, I just saw your blog. Your photography is excellent and I am learning. Let me be your grasshopper. :wink:

Have a peaceful veggie Christmas,

Back
Top Bottom