Moles?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:32 AM
Do you like them? Do you make them? What are your favorites? Moles can be very simple like guacamole (pronounced "wuacmole") or very complex as a mole negro. I love Mexican food, not the stuff of fast food garbage nor the stuff served at most "Mexican" restaurants. I'm going to try making the 7 moles of Oaxaca. I've already made the mole negro.

Recipe - Oaxacan Mole Negro

We have a local restaurant owned by a family from the state of Campeche, MX. Their version of mole negro is great. There is a Mexican restaurant in Immokalee, FL. that is really good, but I haven't tried any of their moles, except the guacamole that comes with one of their lunch specials. I was in Immokalee yesterday on my service route and picked up an enchilada special for lunch. No guac with that special.

Last edited:
What kind of mole was it? Mexico has many states, most of which have their own mole versions.
I have no idea. It was just listed on the menu as part of whatever dish I ordered.

Ooops, when I first read this (since I am dealing with a mouse infestation) I thought those pesky little mammalian moles. Then suddenly my thought went to the moles that appear on skin.

Finally I thought - a cooking forum. Ah, we mean Mexican Mole sauces!

I have made a chocolate mole for chicken, years back. It was quite good, but alas I didn't write it down! (And I also do make guacamole...)

Ooops, when I first read this (since I am dealing with a mouse infestation) I thought those pesky little mammalian moles. Then suddenly my thought went to the moles that appear on skin.

Finally I thought - a cooking forum. Ah, we mean Mexican Mole sauces!

I have made a chocolate mole for chicken, years back. It was quite good, but alas I didn't write it down! (And I also do make guacamole...)

This post gave me hint of what all of you all are talking about, so its a sauce?

This post gave me hint of what all of you all are talking about, so its a sauce?

Well yes, but its also the name of the whole dish - Mexico's national dish. There are many, many versions... many contain a lot of ingredients which can be off putting to an average home cook. There are simpler versions though - its really all about the chillies and particularly dried chillies, I think.

Do you like them? Do you make them? What are your favorites? Moles can be very simple like guacamole (pronounced "wuacmole") or very complex as a mole negro. I love Mexican food, not the stuff of fast food garbage nor the stuff served at most "Mexican" restaurants. I'm going to try making the 7 moles of Oaxaca. I've already made the mole negro.

Recipe - Oaxacan Mole Negro

I had a wee laugh when I saw oaxacan mole. I used to back a very good horse called Oaxaca lass here a few years ago, I knew the trainer. I was watching the races a week ago and saw a horse called Oaxaca ? Something? I thought it must be from the mare Oaxaca lass. So I put 3 each way on it. Paid 58 to win and 12 place. I looked it up later to see the breeding. It wasn't the foal, just a fluke.
A lucky fluke.

As for a mole, not in the foreseeable future, unless I see a recipe for something I like.?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom