Local time
7:23 PM
Mom's Pistachio Pudding

1 package of Jello pistachio pudding
1 large can diced pineapples
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup chopped nuts (pistachios?)
9 ounces of Cool Whip

Pour pineapple over pudding. Add rest of ingredients. Chill in the fridge.

That's all she gave me. You could make it fresher with diced fresh pineapple. But otherwise, it is what it is.

CD

Mom's Pistachio Pudding

1 package of Jello pistachio pudding
1 large can diced pineapples
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup chopped nuts (pistachios?)
9 ounces of Cool Whip

Pour pineapple over pudding. Add rest of ingredients. Chill in the fridge.

That's all she gave me. You could make it fresher with diced fresh pineapple. But otherwise, it is what it is.

CD

Well, you certainly can't say that it's not a simple recipe to make ...
in any case I am intrigued by the use of Marshmallows in the US and also in the UK, here they are almost relegated to the supermarket shelves and when bought, they are nibbled two or three at most as a snack.
The last time I was in the UK, while I was waiting for the gate at the airport, I bought some raspberries marshmallows covered with dark chocolate and then I ate them as a snack, but it never occurred to me to use them as an ingredient in desserts.

In the US, marshmallows are used for snacking by themselves, for floating in hot chocolate, for roasting over campfires (where you burn the outside to a cinder, slip it off, then eat the gooey middle), for dipping in melted chocolate, for making s'mores (meh), and for topping sweet yam potatoes at Thanksgiving, and in retro 1950's Jell-O desserts.

Dehydrated ones are frequently present in kiddie cereals and packets of hot chocolate, and then there're jars of marshmallow fluff, used to make fluffernutter sandwiches (peanut butter and marshmallow fluff).

I personally don't care that much for marshmallows, but I don't hate them either. We have a wary coexistence. :)

Wow, this got its own recipe thread. Ooookay. Bear in mind that this was created at a time in the US when there was a big push for "quick and easy" things housewives could make from boxed and canned grocery items. Jello salads, Shake'n'Bake chicken, Hamburger Helper... and other stuff that required minimum effort in the kitchen.

CD

Wow, this got its own recipe thread. Ooookay. Bear in mind that this was created at a time in the US when there was a big push for "quick and easy" things housewives could make from boxed and canned grocery items. Jello salads, Shake'n'Bake chicken, Hamburger Helper... and other stuff that required minimum effort in the kitchen.

CD

I know - its just that we have a site policy that recipes are always new threads so that they are searchable. Otherwise they get buried in a thread. I'll change the pre-fix to Retro Recipe.

In terms of making this recipe in the UK there are two problems: we don't have anything called jello pistachio pudding and we don't have Cool Whip.

I know - its just that we have a site policy that recipes are always new threads so that they are searchable. Otherwise they get buried in a thread. I'll change the pre-fix to Retro Recipe.

In terms of making this recipe in the UK there are two problems: we don't have anything called jello pistachio pudding and we don't have Cool Whip.

Well then, I guess you'll have to take this recipe of your culinary bucket list. :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom