More Cookery Books.

Bought & received another cookery book. This one shows different skills & techniques on cooking

Bought 2 new cookery books. The Book on Pies & Savory Baking. Chef Karter recommended Savory Baking, so I told him that I'd get it!!! He's into baking now!! :whistling:
Book on Pies..jpg
Savory Baking..jpg
Chef Karter..jpg

Last edited:
General questions for everyone:
  • How often do you consult your cookery books? ]
  • Anyone a cover-to-cover reader or just home in on the recipes that interest you?
  • Do you browse them in your free time opening them at random pages?
  • Do you mark and annotate the recipes? Do you look at them before cooking something from them you made before as a refresher?
  • Have you got way too many?
  • Any duds you never look in now but keep them around anyway?

I almost never consult my cookbooks. I browse them when I first get them, and then may never look at them again. Therefore, I don't buy cookbooks anymore.

CD

How often do you consult your cookery books? ]
Frequently, especially when a CB challenge kicks off.

Anyone a cover-to-cover reader or just home in on the recipes that interest you?
Yes, when I get a new one, I read it like a novel, then I go back through and mark the recipes I definitely want to make, and I also mark the ones I definitely don’t want to make. Saves me time later when I’m looking through them for ideas.

Do you browse them in your free time opening them at random pages?
Yes.

Do you mark and annotate the recipes? Do you look at them before cooking something from them you made before as a refresher?
Yes, and yes. My comments are usually more about whether I liked something or not. I don’t change recipes a lot, except for a minor substitution here and there.

Have you got way too many?
Currently, no. I build them up and build them up, and when I get too many, I donate them, cutting it back to the essentials, then I start over again.

Any duds you never look in now but keep them around anyway?
No, not right now.

How often do you consult your cookery books? ]
Frequently
Anyone a cover-to-cover reader or just home in on the recipes that interest you?
I've only ever read one cookery book from cover to cover. Madhur Jaffrey's " A Taste of India".
Do I browse? Sometimes I don't know what to cook, so I open the fridge and see what's inside. There might be "leeks", for example. I'll start browsing my (far too large) collection of cookbooks, just to see what's on offer. Then I might go online, but often the problem with "online" is that you get the cruddy recipes on the first two or three pages and have to go a bit deeper to find something really interesting.
I don't mark recipes, but I do tend to remember where they are for when I need them again.
And I haven't thrown out a cookery book for a few years now. The last lot were things like " time Magazine's 100 best Pasta Recipes", " Women's Institute Guide to Better Baking", " Mia Farrow's Favourite Foods", that sort of stuff. AND 200 copies of "Gourmet" magazine from the 1990s!

Does anyone use a book holder to keep the books open while they cook? I've been thinking of getting one so I can start using my cookbooks more (something like this or this one). My aunt gave me this, but it doesn't hold the books open. And some of my cookbooks are huge (600+ pages). Any recommendations?

Does anyone use a book holder to keep the books open while they cook? I've been thinking of getting one so I can start using my cookbooks more (something like this or this one). My aunt gave me this, but it doesn't hold the books open. And some of my cookbooks are huge (600+ pages). Any recommendations?
Those links are all about whether or not you want cookies on the sites.

Back
Top Bottom