4 chicken thighs, skin removed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ras el hanout
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large fennel bulb, sliced thinly
3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium red chilli, chopped
1 can of chickpeas
50 g of raisins (sultanas, or other dried fruit will do)
2 large oranges, juiced. Retain peel and strip using a zester
250 ml chicken stock
500 ml water
Greek style yoghurt and coriander to garnish

METHOD

Mix the chicken, olive oil and ras el hanout in a bowl, cover, and put in the fridge to marinate for at least 6 hours.
Put the chickpeas, raisins, orange juice and half the zest, stock and water in a tagine or other earthenware lidded dish and put into a moderately hot oven (180 deg C).
Remove the chicken from the fridge, and brown in a hot skillet, adding a little more olive oil if required. Once browned on all sides, remove from the pan and add to the tagine.
In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil and lightly fry the onions, fennel, garlic and chilli until soft. Remove and add to the tagine.
Place the tagine, lid on, in the oven for 1 hour, removing the lid for the last 15 mins.
Once cooked, drizzle with yoghurt and garnish with coriander and the remainder of the orange zest. Serve with couscous or rice.

Last edited:
@epicuric That looks fabulous - congratulations!

Could you please tell me … what is "ras el hanout"?
Thank you. Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix that usually includes a mix of coriander, cinnamon, cumin, chilli, nutmeg, ginger, allspice etc. It is very fragrant and can be quite hot - North Africa's answer to garam masala.

Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix that usually includes a mix of coriander, cinnamon, cumin, chilli, nutmeg, ginger, allspice etc. It is very fragrant and can be quite hot - North Africa's answer to garam masala.

Thank you @epicuric - I've not come across it before. It looks like well worth investigating.

Given that harissa, for example, is widely available in France, then I should be able to source without too much difficulty (I hope)

Thanks !

I contacted my French neighbours this morning to see if they knew where I could find this. They've just come back to me to say that they are astonished that I hadn't been able to find it (although how you're supposed to find something you didn't know exists is beyond me - if it's not on the shopping list, why would I look for it?).

And they have some that I can take to 'play' with - so I shall be off and running with it very soon

And they have some that I can take to 'play' with - so I shall be off and running with it very soon
Well the one type of ethnic ingredients you should be able to find in France is Moroccan. Harissa, Ras-el-hanout, pickled lemons perhaps? Coucous Cafés (as in the Moroccan stew served with couscous) have long been a feature of Paris and perhaps other cities in France?.

We have a variation of this on the menu list for this week, as well as a shrimp tagine.

There are recipes for ras el hanout, as well as paste versus dry harissa if you google for them. And, of course, preserved lemons.

See https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/wanted-lemon-preservation-recipes.12812/#post-118930 , post #8, for the recipe I used the last time I made preserved lemons. I'll be using this recipe from now on because that bit of sugar gets rid of the very harsh bitterness.

Craig loves this dish using the harissa paste recipe on the site, and he is not a vegetarian/vegan food fan at all. http://tasty-yummies.com/butternut-...ashew-cream-and-crispy-brussels-sprout-chips/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom