The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:22 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1620.JPG

First, I'd like to address the green elephant in the kitchen: I know that asparagus isn't something that's typically a part of Moroccan cuisine. But, it worked so well with the other flavors in this stew that I kept it. Once you mix all the ingredients in, it's hard to see the carrots, preserved lemon, and parsley (except for what you add to the top). But, there's no mistaking the flavor. And, no surprise, it's also incredibly healthy.

Asparagus Tikka Masala Soup.JPG

Ingredients

4 pounds asparagus
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, whole
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
6 cups water
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons harissa paste
30 ounces canned chickpeas
3 ounces preserved lemon, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
2 handfuls parsley, chopped and divided

Directions

1. Cut the woody ends off the asparagus and place in a large pot. Set remaining asparagus aside. Cut ends off carrots and discard. Place whole carrots, onion, celery, thyme, rosemary, water, and 1 tablespoon of salt in pot with asparagus ends. Bring to a boil, then stir and lower to a simmer. Heat for 4 hours.

2. Strain contents of pot through a sieve and retain the liquid. Carefully remove carrots from pot and set aside. Discard remaining vegetables in sieve or save for another use if desired.

3. Stir turmeric, cumin, and harissa paste into the newly made stock. Chop remaining asparagus and add to the stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Heat for 40 minutes or until asparagus stalks are softened.

4. Working in batches, puree contents of pot in a blender or food processor. Return to pot.

5. Drain chickpeas and add to the pot along with chopped preserved lemon. Heat for about 5 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, cut carrots into thin slices, then carefully stir into the soup.

7. Stir in most of the parsley and serve. Top with a sprig of the remaining parsley.

Last edited:
Its very low calorie and easy to make as well. I'm not 100% sold on mixing delicate asparagus with those Moroccan spices. But then, I didn't think the retro recipe I tried with slow-cooked squid and asparagus would work - but it did.

Back
Top Bottom