Recipe Morrocan style Root Vegetable Soup with Ras-al-Hanout

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
11:39 AM
Yet another soup - but this one is spicy. You can substitute any of the root vegetables with others, depending on your location or taste.
Ingredients
1 medium parsnip
1 medium swede (rutabaga)
1 medium turnip
1 medium sweet potato
2 medium onions
2 medium carrots
1 stick celery
4 whole cloves garlic
3-4 tbsps olive oil
Salt
2-3 Tbsps Ras-al-Hanout
2 lts (approx) vegetable stock (or water)
Ras-al-Hanout (Yep! if you don´t want to make it yourself, you can buy it in your local spice/Mediterranean market)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cardamon seeds
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp fennel seeds (or aniseed)
1/4 tsp turmeric

Method
  • Wash and peel the vegetables and cut into chunks (about the same size, so they will cook evenly). Spread them on a baking tray, sprinkle some salt on them and douse them with the olive oil.
  • Heat the oven to 400°F, put the vegetables into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
  • For the Ras-al-Hanout, grind all the spices together in a spice grinder/pestle & mortar/molcajete.
  • remove the vegetables from the oven and put them in a large pan. Add the Ras-al-Hanout Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. lower the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
  • Taste. You´ll probably need more salt, but maybe not. If you want it sweeter, add sugar.
  • You can blend it if you want. Or not. Serve with flatbread.

It looks pretty. I really like the way there is a long list of ingredients but only a few steps to make it. So many good recipes are like this. Roasting root vegetables before making soup makes a big difference to flavour. This recipe is also vegetarian and vegan and really rather economical. (I've added the relevant tags). I'd think this soup would be quite sweet given the root vegetables chosen so I don't think it would need further sweetening.

Thanks for adding the tags!
Sweetness - definitely. The parsnips carrots and sweet potato provide plenty of natural sugar. And yes - it's easy to make. If I were to make it for me, I wouldn't bother blending it - but my family are really weird about soups with " lumps " in them. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back
Top Bottom