Pestle and Mortar

Do you use or have you used a Pestle and Mortar

• Total voters

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
11:09 PM
I have never owned a pestle and mortar, but am currently considering a purchase to do some nifty things that I have had on my mind to do. I did a search of the forum to see if this topic ever came up before and found that no results were rendered. I can perhaps assume that few use this kitchen device which has been around in numerous world wide cultures from the most ancient of times right back into prehistory.

How many forum members use a pestle and mortar, and ... should there be something I might consider when contemplating a purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, I doubt there is a Mediterranean that does not have Mortars & Pestles in every size in their kitchens .. ( Small, Medium, Large and Jumbo Size ) ..

I have several in natural Wood and 2 in Stone ..

I also believe, @The Late Night Gourmet might have done a thread on Mortars and Pestles as well ..

I never prepare my Ligurian Genovese Basil Pesto in a food processor or a blender.

Always a Mortar and Pestle .. And same for our Catalan Romesco ..

Last edited:
googled it. Now I'm ashamed that I didn't remember what it was. No, I have never owned one before. I have definitely contemplated it in the past. I make my own taco seasonings and dry rubs. This would come in handy for the peppercorn alone.

Firstly, I doubt there is a Mediterranean that does not have a Mortars & Pestles in every size in their kitchens ..

I have several in natural Wood and 2 in Stone ..

I also believe, @The Late Night Gourmet might have done a thread on Mortars and Pestles as well ..

I never prepare my Ligurian Genovese Basil Pesto in a food processor or a blender.

Always a Mortar and Pestle .. And same for our Catalan Romesco ..

Thanks for advising that there was already a thread on this topic. I don't know why it didn't show up when I searched. I can readily understand why folks from the Med would have and use Mortar and Pestles. I've done some research now and think I've spotted a nice 7" granite mortar and pestle from a company called Cole & Mason. It has some superb reviews.

It's amazing. There are granite, wood, marble, stainless steel and even glass mortar and pestles and in sizes that would barely hold 1/2 cup.

I figure that what I buy should be heavy, rough on the inside and the grinding end of the pestle. And it should be big enough to allow all manner of things to be placed in it for grinding and mashing up. It should also be easy to clean.

I call it pestle and mortar - sounds wrong the other way round!

It works either way. I found a mortar and pestle, 7" granite, from Cole & Mason, an outfit headquartered in the UK with a US sales office in Irvine, California. Unless somebody in the forum says "Oh gosh no, don't do it.", that's my buy.

Back
Top Bottom