Mortar And Pestle

If you buy those cheap little sea salt grinders, whenever the salt is gone you can use those for grinding spices (or your specific salts) and make it designated for that particular spice or salt. I think you can buy them for a buck or two at the dollar store.

Someone gifted me four bags of seasoned/flavored salts (Tuscan salt, Mediterranean salt, smoked salt, and truffle salt) and the flakes are too big for my liking, so I break it up as I need it in the mortar.

I have a cheap $10 spice grinder, the cover is plastic. It whips the spices around so fast that it's pitted the plastic, the spice has become embedded in it, and now, anything I grind in it smells like that spice.
Mine is exactly the same. I dislike the thing and have been looking for a mortar and pestle that i like. So far nothing. I really only grind dried rosemary regularly, but a lot of other things irregularly. However my spice grinder smells like cloves and everything that comes out of it tastes like them.

If you buy those cheap little sea salt grinders, whenever the salt is gone you can use those for grinding spices (or your specific salts) and make it designated for that particular spice or salt. I think you can buy them for a buck or two at the dollar store.
Oh cool. i have two of those.

Just remember to sharpie them in case you have a bad memory like I do :)

We have a Kitchen Aid spice/coffee grinder. It comes with 2 metal bowls that have blades in them and plastic tops that are removable, then a plastic top that goes on last and is used as the switch/cover to make it work. You just have to wash out the metal bowls. We're on our second 1. The first lasted for years and so had this one. Don't remember when I replaced the first, but it's been at least 5 years.

I have those salt or pepper grinders from Trader Joe's - but unfortunately when those ones are done dispensing what they came with, they're not possible - as far as I can determine - to break open and re-fill - unless I want to BREAK them.

Just remember to sharpie them in case you have a bad memory like I do :)

Grin!

Assuming you are referring to the coffee grinders, I simply keep them in different places. The coffee one is by the Cuisinart, the spice one is in a drawer under the oversized containers of spice cabinet, and the baby quail feed one is in the basement.

I used to have a white ceramic pestle & mortar - it was very simple and pretty but terrible for anything other than herbs. If you tried to use it to grind spices they just swished around inside it instead of actually getting ground up.

A few years ago I accidentally dropped the pestle on the floor and it smashed so I had to go out and buy a new one in a hurry because I needed it for something (I can't remember what). The only the garden centre around the corner had for sale was a cast iron one - I wasn't sure if it would be any good because I'd never seen a cast iron one before. But actually its great! Because it has a slightly textured surface it grinds spices in a flash :okay: You have to make sure to dry it properly after washing it out otherwise it does get some surface rust, but that's easily done.

Here it is in use:

I have a white marble M&P, similar to TR's, but with a larger bowl. I use it to crush peppercorns, spices and herbs, when I want some precision. My coffee/spice grinder gives me a blend of ground herbs and herb dust.

IMG_1061.JPG

CD

I have those salt or pepper grinders from Trader Joe's - but unfortunately when those ones are done dispensing what they came with, they're not possible - as far as I can determine - to break open and re-fill - unless I want to BREAK them.
The ones I have, the tops screw off quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom