Mouth too sore to eat!

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
9:09 PM
A couple of months ago I had a retainer bracket break in my mouth. It held my top 2 teeth together after having orthodontic work done when I was a teen. I went to the orthodontist to have the remaining pieces of the retainer removed, and they gave me one of those Invisalign retainers to wear for the next couple of weeks so that my teeth move back where they belong. My mouth is so sore that I can't eat any food that requires chewing and I have to do this for 2 weeks! Grrrr

A couple of months ago I had a retainer bracket break in my mouth. It held my top 2 teeth together after having orthodontic work done when I was a teen. I went to the orthodontist to have the remaining pieces of the retainer removed, and they gave me one of those Invisalign retainers to wear for the next couple of weeks so that my teeth move back where they belong. My mouth is so sore that I can't eat any food that requires chewing and I have to do this for 2 weeks! Grrrr
Are you able to chew with the head tilted down, keeping the food at the front of your mouth? If you are avoid using your tounge. A lot easier said than done though

It hurts the most in the front of my mouth because the appliance I am wearing is to pull my two front teeth back together. I only have to deal with this for a couple of weeks, so I just have to manage. Oh how I would love to eat a fresh carrot stick, or even a potato chip for that matter. I have been living on eggs and potatoes and cooked veggies because they are easy to chew and it doesn't hurt as bad.

Sounds nasty,it was bad enough while I was having a root canal treatment ,hot then cold would be shocking ,hope the pain goes soon and you can eat properly again
:okay:

I could barely open my mouth when I had an infection in my wisdom tooth. It was horrible... even slices of bread I had to push them against the table to make it flat so I could get it in. :D

Good luck, it won't last forever.

Good luck, I had an infection in my gum that caused the side of my face to swell up the size of a ball. I had to be hopitalized for two days to get the infection under controll. While I was in the hospital they gave me minced up meat and mashed potates to eat. I ate oatmeal and mashed up potatoes for two weeks.

Broke one side of the jaw last year. Any movement was awkward.

Previously I've chewed the inside of the mouth, tounge included, that meant a liquid only "diet" for over a month.

Luckily the only experience I have of issue here is with a chronic geographic tongue which basically if you were to bite your tongue and then drink lemon juice is what it is like for me 50-75% of the time. I can control the genetic disease with a high zinc content (usually from a liquid supplement). But on several occasions in the past it has been that bad I have not been able to eat or drink for a couple of days at a time and on one of those occasions, the UK was in the middle of a heat wave and I lived in the one of the hottest spots. I ended up needing IV fluids and A&E.... It wasn't a great solution but I didn't want to be hospitalised... Luckily after the 2nd visit the next day for fluids, one of the dr's had the sense to contact Guy's Dental hospital in London and it was suggested that they put lidocaine gel directly onto my tongue (after checking it did not set off my asthma too badly) and it numbed my tongue and mouth enough for me to be able to swallow a few small mouthfuls of water. After that I was fine, it wasn't ideal because I could only do it when it came to drinking, and you have to be very careful with the dose, but it did work.

Back
Top Bottom