Movie recommendations for shut-ins (or quarantine-ins)?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:14 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I have Amazon Prime (I don't have Netflix so sorry I won't be watching anything exclusive to that service). But I'm interested in movie suggestions that I can rent during this Stay At Home Alone thing. And no, I do NOT want to watch Home Alone. (I did a few years back, it was okay...) PS, I don't yet get TV reception here, but some series are carried on Amazon.

What are YOU watching?

I am putting these here because I want recommendations.

Anyhow, I'm interested in quality documentaries (Planet Earth, Food Inc, Rabbit Proof Fence, Koyaanisqatsi). Environmental things, historical things.
Dark humor (Jojo Rabbit, The Death of Stalin).
Quality animation with interesting / fun plot lines (Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, the original Fantasia, Ratatouille).
Off-course humor (Most of Mel Brooks, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Becoming John Malkovich, just a couple of the Monty Python ones).
Movies about food (The Hundred Food Journey, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Chocolat)
Science Fiction (FIRST Matrix movie, first three filmed Star Wars movies, the first three even-numbered Star Trek movies, Brother from Another Planet)

Ok, some random movies I also liked:

Groundhog Day, Pan's Labyrinth, Amistad, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Last Temptation of Christ, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Labyrinth, the first couple of the Raiders of the Lost Arc movies.

NO interest whatsoever in slapstick "comedy", outright horror, on-screen sex abuse, or Hallmark style flicks.

So...
1) what do you watch?
2) what would you recommend to me?

Daughters fave movie is jo Jo rabbit, she bought me the movie, I watched it with her. I'm in two minds, my grandfather, who she never knew, was a p.o.w in WWII.

We have Netflix and sky, although wife cancelled sky movies, we hardly watch, also sky sport, rugby and league aren't being Played so on hold. We never even get time to watch Netflix, it's free here, son gave it to us. I don't go upstairs until 9pm and wife goes to bed about 10.30. We have lots recorded but can't catch up.

Russ

A really out there on its own movie. Paris Texas.

Brilliant acting, smart story line, and the best sound track from Ry Cooder. A slow film with a captivating story.

I've never seen Paris, Texas, the movie. I've driven through the real town many times to go camping in SE Oklahoma. Yes, it is a real town. We have a Dublin, a Rome, Edinburgh, Moscow, plus Liverpool, Newcastle and a London, too.

CD

I watched Knives Out this week. That was good. A good, old fashioned whodunnit.

I also watched Ford VS Ferrari. I knew Shelby somewhat (we had mutual friends), and wasn't sure about Matt Damon for that role, but he did okay.

I can't think of anything else new I want to watch.

CD

Well, if you like dark comedies and restaurants, it's hard to beat Eating Raoul, from the early '80's.

A newer absurdist film we really liked is The Lobster.

Original "War of the Worlds", "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, the "Hobbit" trilogy, the "Star Trek" movies, "Last of the Dogmen" and any John Wayne movies, for a start.

I'm a kiwi, I don't get lotr. A bit like got. Will never watch it.

Russ
I loved the books when I was in school, but I saw the first installment and was bored to tears. Didn't bother with the rest.

1) what do you watch?

I have had a folder on my hard drive entitled "Isolation Films" for a couple of months. The majority have been second watching.

Back
Top Bottom