MSG - Has It Survived Negatives

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:59 AM
Monosodium Glutamate or "China Salt" has been very controversial as it is claimed to have a series of bad health side effects, including Neurological Disorders and Birth Defects.

I was wondering if MSG has survived these negatives and still finds use in commercial products, outside of China and Southeast Asia.

EXTREME FOODS
Published November 12, 2014
Last Update March 20, 2018
Foods you didn't know contain MSG
By Dan Myers | The Daily Meal
1. Doritos
e8750a81-doritosmsg.jpg

(iStock)
You know that bold, rich flavor that you get when you eat a Dorito? That’s not just powdered cheese, it’s MSG. Odds are, if you’re eating a flavored chip of any kind, it contains MSG.

2. KFC fried chicken
4a362e7a-kfcmsg.jpg

Overview of the fried chicken meal (iStock)
Very few people know what all 11 herbs and spices are, but MSG is definitely one of them. Not only is there MSG in all the different varieties of KFC fried (and grilled) chicken, it’s also in the gravy, chicken pot pies, potato wedges, and even the green beans.

3. Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich
eb76e87a-chickfilamsg.jpg

appetizing chicken burger and fries on a set table (iStock)
Want to know what that Chick-Fil-A is seasoned with that makes it taste so good? According to their website, it’s salt, sugar, spices, paprika, and MSG. If you’re looking to avoid it, opt for the grilled chicken sandwich instead.

4. Flavored Pringles
ec2636f6-pringlesmsg.jpg

(iStock)
There are dozens of varieties of Pringles, and just about all of the flavored ones (including BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion, and Pizza) include MSG. One variety that doesn’t? Salt and Vinegar.

5. Campbell’s chicken noodle soup
d2d6ef21-campbellsmsg.jpg

(iStock)
Yes, this classic soup gets much of its rich and satisfying flavor from MSG. It’s not just chicken noodle, either; nearly all of the brand's condensed soups, from Cream of Mushroom to Vegetable Beef, contain it.

Check out more of your favorite foods that you didn't know contain MSG.

More from The Daily Mealq

I can't abide it. I can taste it straight away if its added to anything. It sort of eclipses all the other flavours with its artificial umami. And yes it survives still - though less so now in food in the UK at least.

I can't abide it. I can taste it straight away if its added to anything. It sort of eclipses all the other flavours with its artificial umami. And yes it survives still - though less so now in food in the UK at least.

I don't like it either. I believe enough people have boycotted foods that use it, that it is used very much less than it originally was.

Agreed. It also gives me an instant headache.

Back
Top Bottom