Muffaletta

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:15 AM
All this talk of ham and cured meats brought to mind when I used to go to New Orleans frequently (where I lived in Florida it was a 4 hour drive). I love love love muffalettas! I like mine panini style. I'm going to make one soon, my husband has never had one but he loves olives and cured meats, so...

Muffaletta with Olive Tapenade |

1616867376391.png

All this talk of ham and cured meats brought to mind when I used to go to New Orleans frequently (where I lived in Florida it was a 4 hour drive). I love love love muffalettas! I'm going to make one soon, my husband has never had one but he loves olives and cured meats, so...

Muffaletta with Olive Tapenade |

View attachment 59935

I'm not a fan of muffalettas. The olive tapenade doesn't work with the meats, for me.

CD

I'm not a fan of muffalettas. The olive tapenade doesn't work with the meats, for me.

CD
I think it depends on who makes it. I like to blend my olive tapenade with mustard and whir it through the food processor, then spread it like a condiment so it's not chunky. I think it's a balance of ingredients thing, too much tapenade ruins it and there has to be a good ratio of meat and cheese. A flatter bread works better, too, IMO.

Muffaletta is such a catchy name! one cannot not remember it, like immediately.
is it versatile? Can you get different fillings or is this THE filling?
The olive tapenade with mustard, wow, that sounds good! Wonder if that would work with tofu...hm...
Today while waiting for my coffee at the bakery my eyes spotted a gorgeous grilled veges and cheese chunks sandwich...have to try that one next week...

I love love love muffalettas!
I love 'em also, and it's all about the tapenade for me.

I'd never heard of tapenade, and I had a friend who was a chef in a previous life, and he invited me out to help with a fundraiser, where he was making muffulettas and selling them for charity he was working with.

Before we got started, he handed me a big wedge off of one he'd made for the help and I took a bite, and I almost hit the floor, it was so good. I started pulling it apart to see what was in it, and the tapenade was so finely minced, it didn't look like olives any more, so I had to ask, and then he filled me in on it. Now I make them a lot for picnics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muffaletta is such a catchy name! one cannot not remember it, like immediately.
is it versatile? Can you get different fillings or is this THE filling?
The olive tapenade with mustard, wow, that sounds good! Wonder if that would work with tofu...hm...
Today while waiting for my coffee at the bakery my eyes spotted a gorgeous grilled veges and cheese chunks sandwich...have to try that one next week...
It's pretty much olive tapenade and meat/cheese. I like a variety of cured meat and cheese on mine. Everything is open for adaptation, IMO. If you don't quite like something on it, change it up to suit your tastes. I find that blending the tapenade with mustard helps it cling better to the bread and makes it less messy to eat. I also like a bit of char on the bread, but that's not traditional. People bake them and eat them cold. I like them hot.

Back
Top Bottom