3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 tsps tomato puree
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp nigella seeds
A few curry leaves
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 Tbsps coriander leaf
Salt to taste (about 1 1/2 tsps)
Ghee or vegetable oil for frying

Method:
  • Heat the ghee/oil in a pan and fry the onion.
  • When the onion is opaque, add the minced ginger, garlic and chiles, Stir for about 2 minutes.
  • Add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds and curry leaves and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
  • Now add the turmeric, fennel and fenugreek leaves. Stir once or twice to mix and immediately add the chopped tomatoes. Lower the heat to medium, mix well and cook for about 4-5 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened.
  • Now add the tomato paste and the soaked mung beans. Cover with water by about one inch (2-3 cms) , add salt and bring to a boil.
  • Now lower the temperature again and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the mung beans are soft. Check on the water levels; you may need to add a little more as the dal cooks
  • When ready, add the chopped coriander/cilantro, stir and leave for 5 minutes till serving.
    Mung beans with tomato.jpg

OK / I've used Swasthi's recipes from time to time. I think the last one was Aloo Tikki!
I'm sure there are millions of versions of the cilantro chutney, so I'd just go with what tastes best to you. Onions and garlic are definitely going to dominate the flavour, so by omitting them, the herbs will come through.

OK / I've used Swasthi's recipes from time to time. I think the last one was Aloo Tikki!
I'm sure there are millions of versions of the cilantro chutney, so I'd just go with what tastes best to you. Onions and garlic are definitely going to dominate the flavour, so by omitting them, the herbs will come through.
It was passed dominate, more like burn, should have been called hot garlic with coriander 😂

I like the recipe and will try it soon.
I generally just use mung beans for sprouting and have been looking for savoury other recipes

I like the recipe and will try it soon.
I generally just use mung beans for sprouting and have been looking for savoury other recipes

I use them for sprouting too. You can make interesting dals with sprouted seeds. I also once made kedgeree with sprouted matki. It could be made with mung beans:

Recipe - Kedgeree with Sprouted Matki

fullsizeoutput_47f9.jpeg

Mathki (moth dal) are the same type of "bean", I think. When I look at the squarish shape, moong dal, black, white and yellow urid dal and moth dal - all look the same to me.

I don't really know either, but I think they are all different. It gets very complicated looking at the plant origin (genus) of all the types of lentils and beans...

Back
Top Bottom