Recipe Musakhan -Pita with Chicken and Sumac

cookieee

Local time
12:47 PM
"Chicken, is traditionally baked on thick, spongy Tabun bread, which is similar to Turkish pide; pita bread is often used as a substitute."

Musakhan-Pita with Chicken and Sumac

3 TB. olive oil and a little butter
3 to 4 onions, chopped (about 1 lb.)
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tsp. ground sumac
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
juice of 1 lime
salt and ground black pepper
4 pita breads, halved to form 8 pockets

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat oil and butter in a heavy pan and stir in onions. Cook until they just begin to color, then add chicken and sumac. Cook for a few minutes to sear the chicken, then reduce heat and stir in spices and lime juice. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until chicken is tender.
2. Season to taste, then fill pita pockets with chicken mixture. Arrange on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for about 10 minutes.
3. Serve with a salad and strained yogurt either spooned into the pocket or on top. Serves 4 as a meal, 8 as a snack

Source: "The Middle Eastern Kitchen" by Ghillie Basan

I'm going to stick my neck out here. Musakhan is served on top of the bread - the bread is thick to soak up the juices. The chicken used would probably not be chicken skinless breast - this dish needs fat from the chicken which forms the juices to drip into the bread - so chicken thighs or legs are better. And it needs toppings such as pine nuts.

Of course this recipe is a perfectly nice filled pitta bread with sumac and spices and there is nothing wrong with that. But a Musakhan should look like something like this:

I hope you don't mind me being critical!

I guess you could take it up with Ms. Basan lol

I got this recipe from someone who said it was a "fast food version". I guess I should have put that in my post.

Back
Top Bottom