Recipe Mushroom and Ricotta Cream for Bruschetta

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:40 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Bruschetta is a toasted crispy slice of bread usually served with oil, garlic and/or diced fresh tomatoes although it can be seasoned with everything to your liking.

I eventually came up with the idea for this delicious mushroom cream, perfect as a spread on a crunchy bruschetta and also delicious as a pasta dressing. You can try it also as a sandwich filling, maybe to accompany some tuna or as a delicate sauce for roastbeef.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20-25 mins

• Champignon/Button mushrooms: 250 g
  • Parmigiano Cheese, grated: 30 g
  • Ricotta: 1 tbsp
  • Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO): 3 tbsp
  • Garlic clove, unpeeled: 1
  • Parsley: about 1 sprig
  • Salt and pepper: to taste
  • Bread: 4 slices
Method

To clean the mushrooms just gently rub them with a damp kitchen towel, slice them afterwards. Finely chop the parsley.

Heat up the oil in a pan and brown the garlic clove, add the mushrooms and the parsley and fry them up until the mushrooms are cooked through.

Toast the bread. It should be crunchy, not too dry, and to ensure this result you can drizzle some oil over the bread slices before baking them.

Once the mushrooms are completely cooked, pour the content of the pan in a blender, making sure to include not only the mushrooms, but also the oil, the parsley and the browned garlic. Add the grated Parmesan, the ricotta and the turmeric powder, and blend the mixture until you reach a creamy consistency. Flavour with a pinch of salt and pepper.

To serve your bruschettas, take the bread out of the oven and spread some cream on each slice whrn it’s still warm.

Tip: As mentioned, the leftover cream is perfect to fill sandwiches, accompany some cuts of meat, and even as a pasta dressing – in the latter case just remember to add some olive oil to ensure a smooth and creamy texture. You can store the mushroom cream in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Last edited:
For those in the US, Champignon mushrooms are sold as white button mushrooms in most stores.

CD

I thought Champignon mushrooms were sold as Champignons
Here's how Wikipedia explains it:

"When immature and white, this mushroom may be known as common mushroom, white mushroom, button mushroom, cultivated mushroom, table mushroom, and champignon mushroom (or simply champignon). When immature and brown, it may be known variously as Swiss brown mushroom, Roman brown mushroom, Italian brown mushroom, cremini/crimini mushroom, chestnut mushroom (not to be confused with Pholiota adiposa ), and baby bella.

When marketed in its mature state, the mushroom is brown with a cap measuring 10–15 centimetres (4–6 inches). This form is commonly sold under the names portobello mushroom, portabella mushroom, and portobella mushroom, but the etymology is disputed."

A rose by any other name, eh? :)

I thought Champignon mushrooms were sold as Champignons

Not here, in general. I only mentioned it so that Americans who wanted to make your Mushroom and Ricotta Cream (like me) would not go nuts trying to find Champignon mushrooms when they are in every grocery store under a different name. Just trying to be helpful.

CD

Not in the UK. As TastyReuben quotes there are many names for the same thing. In the UK we call the white ones button mushrooms or white mushrooms and the brown type 'chestnut mushrooms'.

Chestnut mushrooms is new to me. I'll have to remember that -- there's a British cooking show I watch, and I sometimes get hit with names of things I've never heard before, that are called something else here.

CD

Not here, in general. I only mentioned it so that Americans who wanted to make your Mushroom and Ricotta Cream (like me) would not go nuts trying to find Champignon mushrooms when they are in every grocery store under a different name. Just trying to be helpful.

CD

Yes I understood you wanted to be helpful, I’ve only said that I simply thought they were universally known as Champignons. Not be offended.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom