Recipe Mushroom, Apricot and Coriander Sausages

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:21 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is another of my 'really old' recipes from the Vegetarian Good Food Magazine which no longer exists. It is, however, adapted and modified to my needs and only loosely based on the original recipe.

They make a dark sausage, that is spicy, but not hot spicy if you follow me. You can modify the spices as needed, omitting the cumin and cayenne if you prefer.

Ingredients
2 tbsp sunflower oil
250g chestnut or portobello mushrooms, chopped very finely
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsps ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tin (410g) any bean that mashes easily (aduki, cannellini, butter beans, black eyed peas etc)
1 egg, beaten (or you can use 2-3tbsp of tahini to make them vegan)
100g fresh breadcrumbs
100g dried apricots, chopped finely
2 tbsp plain flour
5 tbsp fresh coriander
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat for 5-10 minutes until they are dry. You don't want any liquid from the mushrooms.
  2. Reduce the heat and add the ground spices (coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper). Fry for another minute before adding the crushed garlic and frying for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  3. Drain the can of beans, and put in a bowl. Now mash the beans reasonably well but leaving a few pieces of recognisable beans.
  4. Add the mushroom mixture, the beaten egg, the fresh breadcrumbs, chopped apricots, plain flour and fresh coriander to the beans and mix well. Season as needed with the salt and pepper. I found they needed quite a bit of salt.
  5. Using either wet hands or floured hands, squash the mixture into a ball. Now the original recipe said 8 balls to make 8 * 10cm long sausages but I ended up with 16 for some reason with a diameter of around 2cm. I also found that they held together really easily, though I used egg and tahini in mine.
  6. Fry the sausages in additional sunflower oil for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly brown all round.
I made up 8 sausages and the remaining mixture was divided into another 8 balls and pressed into a 1/3 measuring cup making 1cm thick patties/burgers which have been frozen for future eating.

This is another of my 'really old' recipes from the Vegetarian Good Food Magazine which no longer exists. It is, however, adapted and modified to my needs and only loosely based on the original recipe.

They make a dark sausage, that is spicy, but not hot spicy if you follow me. You can modify the spices as needed, omitting the cumin and cayenne if you prefer.

Ingredients
2 tbsp sunflower oil
250g chestnut or portobello mushrooms, chopped very finely
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsps ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tin (410g) any bean that mashes easily (aduki, cannellini, butter beans, black eyed peas etc)
1 egg, beaten (or you can use 2-3tbsp of tahini to make them vegan)
100g fresh breadcrumbs
100g dried apricots, chopped finely
2 tbsp plain flour
5 tbsp fresh coriander
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat for 5-10 minutes until they are dry. You don't want any liquid from the mushrooms.
  2. Reduce the heat and add the ground spices (coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper). Fry for another minute before adding the crushed garlic and frying for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  3. Drain the can of beans, and put in a bowl. Now mash the beans reasonably well but leaving a few pieces of recognisable beans.
  4. Add the mushroom mixture, the beaten egg, the fresh breadcrumbs, chopped apricots, plain flour and fresh coriander to the beans and mix well. Season as needed with the salt and pepper. I found they needed quite a bit of salt.
  5. Using either wet hands or floured hands, squash the mixture into a ball. Now the original recipe said 8 balls to make 8 * 10cm long sausages but I ended up with 16 for some reason with a diameter of around 2cm. I also found that they held together really easily, though I used egg and tahini in mine.
  6. Fry the sausages in additional sunflower oil for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly brown all round.
I made up 8 sausages and the remaining mixture was divided into another 8 balls and pressed into a 1/3 measuring cup making 1cm thick patties/burgers which have been frozen for future eating.
Now online, according to the BBC, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/category/vegetarian

Back
Top Bottom