Recipe Mushroom Bread Pudding

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:25 AM
Karen made this when the book first came out. It has been on the Christmas Day menu ever since. We usually pair it with a standing rib roast. This year I bought a whole beef tenderloin and I'm debating to make the pudding or not. Actually I'm kicking myself in the arse for not getting the ingredients while we were out grocery shopping yesterday!

Mushroom Bread Pudding
Courtesy Emeril Lagasse
"Emeril's Creole Christmas"

Ingredients
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Cups thinly sliced yellow onion
2 tsp salt
1/4 plus 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb assorted mushrooms (shitaki, oyster and crimini), wiped clean and chopped
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
5 large eggs
2 Cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
4 Cups white bread, cut in 1" cubes
1/2 Cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350F
2) Grease a 2 - quart casserole pan (round or rectangular) with 1 Tbsp of the butter
3) Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in a large saute pan over med-high heat
4) Add the onions, 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of cayenne and the black pepper
5) Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes
6) Add mushrooms, cook, stirring often, until they are slightly soft, about 3 minutes
7) Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute
8) Remove pan from heat and let cool

Custard
1) In a large mixing bowl, wisk the eggs for 30 seconds
2) Add the cream, remaining tsp salt, the remaining 1/8 tsp cayene, the tabasco and worcestershire
3) Wisk the mixture until blended

Pudding
1) Add the onion-mushroom mixture and bread cubes to the custard and mix well
2) Pour the mixture into the prepard casserole and sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese
3) Bake until the pudding is golden brown and bubbly, about 55 minutes
4) Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving

This sounds very delicious and unusual (to me). I may try making individual puddings based on this recipe. I now have a long backlog of recipes to try! :D

No! :D I won't be tempted by that. I love smoked salmon but not combined with cream cheese (if that is what it is).

Awe, come on, be adventurous! Half a bagel toasted, with a schmear of cream cheese, slice of raw onion and slices of lox or nova on top, is a classic at a Jewish deli!:hungry: Maybe a few capers as well. So the cheese cake isn't a far stretch.

Awe, come on, be adventurous! Half a bagel toasted, with a schmear of cream cheese, slice of raw onion and slices of lox or nova on top, is a classic at a Jewish deli!:hungry: Maybe a few capers as well. So the cheese cake isn't a far stretch.
I could take a schmear of cream cheese but that is my limit!

You just reminded me - I intended to make some bagels over Christmas...

Back
Top Bottom