The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:50 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
6a67a556-2aef-461e-b286-163f3fb6c559-jpeg.jpg

Most egg drop soups are boring. If you look at what it takes to make one, it's understandable. Most just involve chicken stock, eggs, and cornstarch. I decided to add some mushrooms, and got carried away a bit by the quantity. It's not traditional, but: my kitchen, my rules.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoons soy sauce, adjusted to taste
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
3 scallions, chopped
4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 large eggs

Directions

1. Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.

2. Add chicken stock to a pot. Add ginger, scallions, mushrooms, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.

3. Drizzle cornstarch mixture gradually into the pot while whisking continuously.

4. Whisk eggs and drizzle mixture gradually into the pot while whisking continuously. Stir the soup with chopsticks.

5. Serve immediately.

I agree that egg drop soup can be a bit dull and as you say, why not add mushrooms? I'm not sure if the quantity of mushrooms is too much here. Maybe so. Its difficult to assess as they don't really show up in the photo of the finished dish. However, the soup does look rather brown but that might be the soy sauce. Its rather a shame the green scallions aren't showing in the photo. Sorry to be critical. I am really talking about how it looks not how it tastes.

I agree that egg drop soup can be a bit dull and as you say, why not add mushrooms? I'm not sure if the quantity of mushrooms is too much here. Maybe so. Its difficult to assess as they don't really show up in the photo of the finished dish. However, the soup does look rather brown but that might be the soy sauce. Its rather a shame the green scallions aren't showing in the photo. Sorry to be critical. I am really talking about how it looks not how it tastes.

Dead on with everything you said here. I did consider redoing the picture later to highlight the mushrooms, with a garnish of scallions, but I never got around to it.

The lighting was bad, and the soy sauce did make it more brown. I saw a number of egg drop soup recipes that called for salt. I have Rules when it comes to food that I rarely violate: I always use soy sauce to flavor Asian food; I never use it for any other types of food. I sometimes pay the price with it affecting the coloring, and I fully realize how silly that Rule is. I could use salt, the result would be great, and no one else would know. But, of course, I would know. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom