Recipe Mushroom & Kimchi Fried Rice

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
6:05 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
IMG_20211102_183220_450.jpg

For this month's Mushroom Recipe Challenge I made a vegetarian substitution to one of my favorite recipes: Kimchi Fried Rice (kimchi-bokkeum-bap). The diced mushrooms will replace the need for meat in this dish, which is usually cubed pork belly or minced pork.

Disclaimer: I make reference to Scallions or green onions in my recipe, but didn't have any on hand, so they're not going to be in the pictures (sorry!)

IMG_20211102_183220_326.jpg

Ingredients:
4 cups of day-old rice
3 King Oyster Mushrooms
Sesame Oil
1/2 to 1 whole cup of Kimchi (based on your preference)
1 heaping tablespoon Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
4 cloves of Garlic
3-4 stalks of Scallions/GreenOnions
Salt to taste
maybe a splash of Soy Sauce (based on your preference)

Garnishes:
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Toasted Seaweed strips
Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)... Omit if you don't like spice.

Instructions:
  • Dice mushrooms
  • Rough chop kimchi and reserve any juice from the packet
  • Mince garlic
  • Finely slice green onions, separating green & white parts
  • In a small bowl, tiny whisk the gochujang and 2 tablespoons of water together so it will be easier to pour later
  • Heat up your wok and add some Sesame oil.
  • To the hot oil, add diced mushrooms and a big pinch of salt, stirring and cooking until they have reduced in size and taken on a browner color (don't burn them though!). Then remove mushrooms from wok.
  • To the (now empty wok) add a bit more sesame oil and toss in your Kimchi (but not the juice), the whites of your scallions, and minced garlic. Stir fry this until its thoroughly warmed through and edges of cabbage look cooked.
  • Remove kimchi mixture from wok, just pour them into the same bowl as the cooked mushrooms.
  • To the (now empty wok) add a bit more sesame oil and toss in your Rice. Stir fry the rice a bit to warm it up and if desired add a splash of soy sauce to get some color.
  • Now add the Kimchi, cooked Mushrooms, Kimchi juice, and Gochujang mixture. Stir fry until you can't resist the temptation to eat it LOL!
  • Turn off fire and plate your fried rice.
  • Garnish with the scallion greens you reserved, sliced seaweed, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, and a sprinkle of Gochugaru (if desired)
Look at the difference in color and volume between the freshly diced and cooked mushrooms!
20211102_174042.jpg

Cooked:

20211102_174634.jpg

Kimchi-bokkeum-bap is often topped with a fried egg, but you can omit it as I did to keep the dish vegetarian/vegan.

Shown here with optional egg:
IMG_20210405_194927_758.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of people would like this, but I had kimchi for the first time a few months ago, and now, just seeing the word "kimchi" makes me not want to eat it. :laugh:

CD
Even worse for you my friend, but Kimchi Fried Rice is a great way to use up slightly older (ie MORE fermented) kimchi which can smell... shall we say, strong? :roflmao:

I´ve only eaten kimchi once or twice - but loved it.
And that dish looks right up my street. Spicy, spicy, spicy!
Two sources of spice: red pepper paste and red pepper flakes. I could do without the flakes, but not the paste. The paste has umami of its own that adds to the character of the dish.

To anyone who wants to tame the kimchi or spice a bit, you could sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar in the pot as you're stir-frying, that can be our little secret :okay:

I'm sure a lot of people would like this, but I had kimchi for the first time a few months ago, and now, just seeing the word "kimchi" makes me not want to eat it. :laugh:

CD

I love good kimchi. I bought kimchi from a local Korean grocery store that was so bad that I threw it out. If what you’ve had is limp cabbage with a smear of red pepper paste, then I can’t blame you for not liking it. I make my own, and of course I love it.

When I hear people say they love pizza, they don’t mean they love every kind of pizza. Do they love the cheap, cardboard-like thing you get in the frozen area of the supermarket for $1? Probably not. Yet, they still say they love pizza.

Maybe you just need to try some better kimchi.

Do you have a non-kimchi version? :D

CD

What are your thoughts on pickled onions? Not exactly the same thing, but it would make a nice substitute.

I love good kimchi. I bought kimchi from a local Korean grocery store that was so bad that I threw it out. If what you’ve had is limp cabbage with a smear of red pepper paste, then I can’t blame you for not liking it. I make my own, and of course I love it.

When I hear people say they love pizza, they don’t mean they love every kind of pizza. Do they love the cheap, cardboard-like thing you get in the frozen area of the supermarket for $1? Probably not. Yet, they still say they love pizza.

Maybe you just need to try some better kimchi.

What are your thoughts on pickled onions? Not exactly the same thing, but it would make a nice substitute.

The kimchi I had was expensive, and came highly recommended. It just wasn't my thing. I have mixed opinions about all Asian foods. I love some of it, and hate some of it. I love Korean BBQ, but hate kimchi. I love bibimbap, too. I hate most Japanese foods, and like most Chinese foods (although I know that American Chinese foods are not "authentic").

I love Mexican pickled red onions. I make my own all the time. Yes, they would make a good substitution for kimchi in some recipes.

CD

Back
Top Bottom