Staff member
Local time
8:05 AM
Mushroom-Leek Stuffing with Herbs
Makes about 6 cups

Ingredients
6 slices high-quality white sandwich bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 TB unsalted butter
1 leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/8 inch thick and rinsed thoroughly
1 celery rib, chopped fine
8 oz white mushrooms, cleaned and chopped medium
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp)
1/2 tsp minced fresh sage leaves or 1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup plus 2 TB low-sodium chicken broth
1 large egg
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Directions
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 250F. Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until thoroughly dried but not browned, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the baking time.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek, celery, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the parsley, garlic, sage, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Whisk the broth, egg, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and leek-mushroom mixture and toss gently until evenly moistened and combined. Use to stuff poultry or chops.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

I really like this recipe. Would love to try it. I wonder if I could sub white bread with dark bread? Either wholegrain wheat or rye, or a mix of the two...

I like it too and as it happens I made a tart with mushrooms and leeks the other day. I reckon you could sub any bread you like in this recipe.

I really like this recipe. Would love to try it. I wonder if I could sub white bread with dark bread? Either wholegrain wheat or rye, or a mix of the two...
I did sub in some darker bread, just because I had it on hand, about half. I think it makes a nicer looking stuffing.

Back
Top Bottom