SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:51 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
We used to cook this quite a lot when I could have dairy. I have yet to find a suitable alternative that will work, but I thought I would post it up for others to enjoy.

We first came across the recipe decades ago. I think it was in the BBC Good Food magazine or possibly the BBC Vegetarian Magazine which folded.

I have simplified her recipe which made some bread croutes. We found serving it on toast was spot on.
We have also found that you can pretty much use just any mushrooms you want to use and it tastes just as good - but the cheese is important. It only works with Emmental. I don't know why and you can't switch out the butter either. Normal butter is fine, you don't need and won't benefit from unsalted butter. Oh and don't be tempted to try using dried parsley either.

Serves 4 in theory, 2 in practice for lunch.

Ingredients
400g/14oz mixed (wild) mushrooms (such as ceps, oyster, shiitake with tough stalks removed) or flat open field mushrooms.
2 garlic cloves, crushed
73g/30z button, melted
6tbsp double cream (be generous)
50g/2oz Emmental (again be generous)
1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Seasoning

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 5.
  2. Grease a large ovenproof dish with butter.
  3. Slice the mushrooms and arrange in the bottom of the dish. If using field mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms aim to have the slices no more than 3mm thick.
  4. Mix the garlic, butter, parsley, cream and seasoning together.
  5. Quickly pour over the mushrooms and baking the oven for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the mushrooms from the oven and sprinkle over the Emmental cheese.
  7. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
  8. Serve hot over crunchy toast.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I absolutely love mushroom, so this recipe will surely make me happy. I just have to convince my fiancee to try it even if he isn't a fan of mushrooms!

I have a similar dish as a starter at the present,layering the miss with puff pastry rounds,tarragon goes well in these dishes
My main advantage is my supplier,I use a mix of their best,they have supplied me for about 20 years
http://www.fundamentally.net/fungi/

That looks delicious. I have found a place here to get the cheese. I did not think I would be able to get it.

- but the cheese is important. It only works with Emmental. I don't know why and you can't switch out the butter either. Normal butter is fine, you don't need and won't benefit from unsalted butter. Oh and don't be tempted to try using dried parsley either.
I suspect this is in reference to your personal taste, or are you actually suggesting that nobody should use a different cheese or a different butter? Totally agree that it would be prefect on some toasted bread.

Last edited:
I suspect this is in reference to your personal taste, or are you actually suggesting that nobody should use a different cheese or a different butter? Totally agree that it would be prefect on some toasted bread.

Having cooked this to photograph it for SatNavSaysStraightOn, here is what I think: Gruyère cheese could be substituted, possibly also a Comté. It needs a mild nutty sweet cheese (certainly not a Cheddar). I think the point about butter is simply that one would need to adjust the seasonings if salted butter was used.

Back
Top Bottom