mushroom & onions "compote" for beef steak

CookieMonster

Local time
1:26 AM
disclosure:
I like mushrooms - all/any kind
I like onions/leeks/scallions - red, sweet, yellow - any&all kinds.

so:

making an accompaniment for beef/pork steak/roast....
I do saute mushrooms to half soft, season with salt&pepper, add onions and continue saute until totally wilted, season with white balsamic and Worcestershire sauce.
(side note: not sure why, but DW likes (blind observation....) white balsamic but finds dark balsamic objectionable....)

I've often pondered . . . does one best start the onion saute, or the mushroom saute?

any opinions on onion/mushrooms first/last slash other techniques?

I don't think it matters that much. It all depends on how you want them to turn out. If you just want the onions sweated, but the mushrooms soft, then start the mushrooms first. If you want them both soft and browned, they can go in together.

The only things I hold until the end of the sauté are things like garlic, that can burn easily.

CD

I've done it both ways - I think I prefer to do the mushrooms first as they release more moisture than the onions.
the trick is to put the onions in at the 'right' time to sweat down before the mushrooms are overdone....

I'm thinking about caramelizing the onions, remove&reserve, then do the mushrooms & when near done add back the onions . . . .

I'm thinking about caramelizing the onions, remove&reserve, then do the mushrooms & when near done add back the onions . . . .

That would work. It would take some extra time, but you would get both the onions and mushrooms done to your liking.

CD

I like to make a Duxelle with my fresh mushrooms then mix with sautéed onions. I like the intensity of mushroom flavor when cooked as a Duxelle. I also sauté mushrooms in butter and adding to onions and garlic sautéed in butter. The garlic cooked only long enough to become aromatic - 30 to 60 seconds. Onions, garlic and mushrooms are my daily ingredients.

don't normally add the garlic - no "objection" to the idea tho . . .

mushrooms onions salt pepper white balsamic is my "std" fare

Mushrooms "sweat" many water, I would saute both apart, until they are well sweated , then I would put them together and would continue with your recipe. You can also try white wine, paprika and black pepper too, they work good with mushrooms.
DITTO - I like to sweat the mushrooms separate from the onions and other savories.

Another vote for cooking separately. Onions are best low and slow to caramelise and become soft and sweet. Mushrooms need frying hard or they just poach in their own water. For me, get the onions right, hard fry the mushrooms, reduce the heat, add the onions, herbs, garlic, and whatever and cook out.

Yum.

Back
Top Bottom