Mushroom Soup and other mushroom dishes

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
5:05 PM
[Mod.Edit: This and a number of the following posts moved from an old original thread to form new topic (MG)]

I think dinner tonight will be mushroom soup and grilled cheese sandwiches!

Mod addition: original recipe is here: Recipe Mushroom Soup

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mushroom soup. So does George. I use a combination of Brown Mushrooms and rehydrated dried wild mushrooms. The dried mushrooms are rehydrated in wine which is reserved and used in the broth. Creamed mushroom soup is so quick and easy to make that I can not imagine using the canned stuff.

I added wild rice this time. Fantastic!

I'm leaving soon to meet some friends for beer and poker. I thought I would surprise my wife. I made mushroom soup for her when she gets home from work. Outs one of her favorites.

FWIW, mushrooms are one of the very few things that I don't like to eat lol

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 chopped onions
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (opened by accident, so I just used it)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I halfed this)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.

I thought it tasted disgusting. I don't like mushrooms. I don't care for their flavor or texture. Colleen loved it. I've made this for her a few times. She said this was the best yet.

View attachment 14310 View attachment 14311 View attachment 14312

Looks good!!

They look like what we (in UK) would call chestnut mushrooms.

Those are the same as button mushrooms in the US. They go by a number of names around the world. They are the most consumed mushrooms in the world. They change color from white to brown as they mature. (Wikipedia)

The button mushrooms I see in the store always seem to be white.

CD

...anyway, I agree with @ElizabethB that the small white ones really don't taste very mushroomy!

I like them. I'll eat them raw, right from the package, or sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. The are sponges -- the soak up whatever flavors you cook them with. I used them in my stuffed mushrooms from last week.

Shrooms001.jpg

CD

I added wild rice this time. Fantastic!

View attachment 48783

That looks divine. I've been sitting here for the past few hours trying to figure out some logical reason that I've never made mushroom soup. I love mushrooms and I love soup, so...? Wish I could answer that one!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Our temps are dropping so a nice bowl of comforting soup will be in order soon!

How do you make your stuffed mushrooms?

For those, I mixed cream cheese with chives and a little cayenne, IIRC. I drizzled them with EVOO, and sprinkled bread crumbs and black pepper on them. I baked them in the oven at 350F until the stuffing was like molten lava.

You can stuff them with all kinds of cheeses and other stuff. Use your imagination.

CD

Last edited:
For those, I mixed cream cheese with chives and a little cayenne, IIRC. I drizzled them with EVOO, and sprinkled bread crumbs and black pepper on them. I baked the in the oven at 350F until the stuffing was like molten lava.

You can stuff them with all kinds of cheeses and other stuff. Use your imagination.

CD

That is how I usually make it. I have a variation with crumbled breakfast sausage that is over the top. My only problem is it's so hard NOT to munch on them while preparing the main course!

Back
Top Bottom