Recipe Mushroom Soup

Local time
1:46 PM
Mushrooms are not a vegetable that I am familiar with, and to be truthful, I cannot remember if I have ever tasted them. However, as most vegetables go well with soup, I have decided to share a soup recipe containing mushrooms for the Cooking Bites Challenge.
  1. Ingredients
    • 6 tbsp/75 g butter
    • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
    • 12 ounces/340 g button mushrooms
    • 4 cups/900 ml light chicken stock or broth
    • 1 sprig of flat parsley
    • Salt and pepper
    • 2 ounces/56 ml high-quality sherry (don't use the cheap grocery-store variety; it's salty and unappetizing and will ruin your soup)
  2. Equipment
    • Medium saucepan
    • Wooden spoon
    • Blender

PREPARATION
  1. Method
    1. In the medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons/28 g of the butter over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, then add the mushrooms and the remaining butter. Let the mixture sweat for about 8 minutes, taking care that the onion doesn't take on any brown color. Stir in the chicken stock and the parsley and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.
    2. After an hour, remove the parsley and discard. Let the soup cool for a few minutes, then transfer to the blender and carefully blend at high speed until smooth. Do I have to remind you to do this in stages, with the blender's lid firmly held down, and with the weight of your body keeping that thing from flying off and allowing boiling hot mushroom purée to erupt all over your kitchen?
    3. When blended, return the mix to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and bring up to a simmer again. Add the sherry, mix well, and serve immediately.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQaoUoBtrmbowZpl91Fi6ahP1jKlkR2lG2YVqgqB5mvNPBYNu-RQ.jpg

Brilliant! A soup recipe. Mushrooms are great material for soups, combining pungent flavour with a comforting silky texture. :D I also think that this is a great little recipe because it doesn't contain cream. So many mushroom soup recipes do. I reckon you get a much more 'mushroomy' taste without it.

Last edited:
Soup sounds like a safe recipe for mushrooms. Soup always saves the day and if you are not a lover of mushrooms I suppose you can limit the amount you use. I just realised the recipe called for some manual labour when using the blender. I find that quite interesting. @Caribbean girl, do remember to copy a picture in the Cookingbites Recipe Challenge thread and link it back here.This is a nice one for the friendly competition.

Soup sounds like a safe recipe for mushrooms. Soup always saves the day and if you are not a lover of mushrooms I suppose you can limit the amount you use. I just realised the recipe called for some manual labour when using the blender. I find that quite interesting. @Caribbean girl, do remember to copy a picture in the Cookingbites Recipe Challenge thread and link it back here.This is a nice one for the friendly competition.
I just use a stick blender like this. You pour the mix into the beaker (pictured) and immerse the blender. Ready in seconds with no struggle! I use mine a lot and its one of the few gadgets allowed in my kitchen. If you don't have one, get one. You can throw away your smoothie maker/blender. And they aren't expensive. Also they take up very little space.

40017546.png

Back
Top Bottom