Recipe Mushroom Tart

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Another of my quick and easy dishes that are very tasty and easy to do. I got the recipe many years ago (1994?) from the long deceased BBC vegetarian magazine and it appeared in the Guardian magazine back in 2001. What I also love about this recipe is that it is so easy to make it vegan. Just use Jus Rol puff pastry which is vegan and olive oil!

The mushrooms can be prepared earlier if needed, and the puff pastry can be defrosted in advance if using frozen. If you like more garlic, add more and if you don't... The only mushrooms that don't work well with this recipe are white button mushrooms because they have little taste.

Mushroom Tart (serves 2)

Ingredients
250g/9oz mushrooms (flat/chestnut/portebello/wild mushrooms you want something tasty)
50g/2oz vegan butter softened or 2-3tbsp of olive oil
2 garlic cloves sliced (add more if you love garlic)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
175g/6oz puff pastry

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7
  • Cut or slice the mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
  • Mix the butter/oil with the garlic.
  • Fry the mushrooms, until almost cooked, with half of the butter or oil/garlic mix adding more oil if the mushrooms are too dry.
  • Roll the puff pastry out until it is roughly 20x15cm (8x5 inches). Make sure it is not too thin or thick, otherwise the sides will not rise or the base not cook properly.
  • Transfer the puff pastry to a baking tray and score a smaller rectangle into the pastry cutting only half way through. It needs to be 3-4 cm (1-1.5 inches) inside of the pastry. Now roughly score the outer pastry to add a 'pattern' to it in the form of cross cutting, again only half way through the pastry. This is much simpler than it sounds. You are simply creating a large 'vol-au-vent type' case to put the mushroom mixture into.
  • Pile the mushrooms into the inside rectangle of the pastry case. Pile evenly and high and remember mushrooms have this habit of 'disappearing' as they cook so don't worry about how high it looks!
  • Put into the oven for 15 minutes (or so) until the pastry has risen but not browned off yet.
  • Mix the parsley with the remaining butter/garlic mix.
  • Now drizzle the remaining oil/garlic/parsley around the mushrooms or if using butter add small dots of butter/garlic/parsley around the mushrooms and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until the pastry is golden.
  • Serve immediately otherwise the base will go soggy!
  • Enjoy.

I'll try to track down a decent image of photo my own the next time I make it.

Edit: photos added below

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom