100g (1 cup) cheddar cheese
50g (1 cup) bread crumbs
80g (1/2 cup) camembert cheese
1 tbsp chopped or dried parsley
1 large sheet of puff pastry
1 egg
salt and pepper

Method (simplified):

1. Peel and core flat mushrooms, fry top side until browned, leave to cool.
2. Dice onion, portabello and garlic then fry until lightly browned.
3. Cool and mix with breadcrumbs, thyme leaves, diced camembert and grated cheddar, parsley and salt and pepper.
4. Press filling into mushrooms.
5. Wrap in puff pastry and eggwash
6. Bake at 180c/360f for 25 minutes.

Beautiful. I had been thinking about doing a Mushroom Wellington over the holiday break, but I was much too lazy. The video is really easy to follow. The issue I've had with making Beef Wellington is tightening up the gap between the beef and the pastry wall. But here, as you show in the video, the mushroom seems to hold together nicely.

Here is a surprise.

So by way of cheap humour I thought I would ask Mr Google for a picture of mushrooms growing in a wellington boot.. obvious yeah? Silly joke and a clever fungiculture reference... nope apparently I have finally found something that the internet doesn't have. I am shocked, not even a single image of fungi planted in a welly.

Beautiful. I had been thinking about doing a Mushroom Wellington over the holiday break, but I was much too lazy. The video is really easy to follow. The issue I've had with making Beef Wellington is tightening up the gap between the beef and the pastry wall. But here, as you show in the video, the mushroom seems to hold together nicely.
Give it a go! Without the unnecessary pastry lattice it is fairly quick to make and it is so good. The initial frying of the mushroom is important to do before wrapping in pastry as like you said, it will pull away from the pastry otherwise. What are the layers you are using in beef wellington? Are you using duxelle, pancake,proscuitto (or another similar pork product) and pastry?

Give it a go! Without the unnecessary pastry lattice it is fairly quick to make and it is so good. The initial frying of the mushroom is important to do before wrapping in pastry as like you said, it will pull away from the pastry otherwise. What are the layers you are using in beef wellington? Are you using duxelle, pancake,proscuitto (or another similar pork product) and pastry?
I've used a duxelle made from portabella mushroom and onion, plus sliced ham or prosciutto. I think that layer of ham is one of the suspects here, but I also think my mistake was in not refrigerating the assembled Wellington before baking it. It was tasty, however.

img_0574-jpg.jpg

I've used a duxelle made from portabella mushroom and onion, plus sliced ham or prosciutto. I think that layer of ham is one of the suspects here, but I also think my mistake was in not refrigerating the assembled Wellington before baking it. It was tasty, however.

View attachment 54206
What temperature is your oven when cooking the pastry? Your pastry looks a little soggy either from incorrect temperature or lack of moisture barrier, next time you make this try wrapping everything in a pancake or tortilla before covering in pastry. Quite common practice even if it does sound a bit weird

I can't get Camembert cheese at my local grocery store. Google says that Brie is a good substitute. What do you all think?
I can't even wrap my head around that. Talk to the dairy/deli department managers about it, maybe they will start carrying it? You did look in the deli area? Sometimes grocery stores don't put the specialty cheeses in the regular cheese area. Is it a chain or just a small local owned grocery store?

I can't even wrap my head around that. Talk to the dairy/deli department managers about it, maybe they will start carrying it? You did look in the deli area? Sometimes grocery stores don't put the specialty cheeses in the regular cheese area. Is it a chain or just a small local owned grocery store?
My only local grocery stores are WalMart and Aldi. My caregiver went to WM for me and they said they don't carry it. I'll check the other grocery stores in nearby towns when I go to my next doctor's appointment.

Aldi usually has a good cheese selection. I have gotten Gouda, Havarti, and Brie there...don't remember seeing Camembert but I don't shop in person either, so I don't know. You know that Walmart doesn't charge for curbside service with a minimum order of $35? You can order everything online and have your caregiver pick it up for you.

Aldi usually has a good cheese selection. I have gotten Gouda, Havarti, and Brie there...don't remember seeing Camembert but I don't shop in person either, so I don't know. You know that Walmart doesn't charge for curbside service with a minimum order of $35? You can order everything online and have your caregiver pick it up for you.

I have used their curbside pick-up. I don't mind it for items that are non-perishables but it's been hit-or-miss for meats and deli items. Also, they don't have any method for substitutions on specific products (you can either accept or decline ALL substitutions). They have one employee who is very good at personal shopping but the rest are younger kids that can't identify some produce or products. It's not convenient to have items I can't use or don't want and that's compounded now because there is a pause on accepting any food returns due to COVID.

I really enjoy being on this forum and love reading all the recipes and trying them. It's just frustrating when I have no idea how to locate certain products and I feel like I'm being annoying when I have to ask.

I have used their curbside pick-up. I don't mind it for items that are non-perishables but it's been hit-or-miss for meats and deli items. Also, they don't have any method for substitutions on specific products (you can either accept or decline ALL substitutions). They have one employee who is very good at personal shopping but the rest are younger kids that can't identify some produce or products. It's not convenient to have items I can't use or don't want and that's compounded now because there is a pause on accepting any food returns due to COVID.

I really enjoy being on this forum and love reading all the recipes and trying them. It's just frustrating when I have no idea how to locate certain products and I feel like I'm being annoying when I have to ask.
I have only used their service a few times, and like any other curbside, it can be hit or miss. I too had an issue once or twice with incorrect items or poor quality. I called them. They credited it back to my credit card and did not want the items back. No hassle at all.

Sorry to divert the lovely thread.

I have always wanted to make beef Wellington, but I am not fond of liver and most recipes call for pate or something similar. I do like mushrooms, is it because of the umami flavor of the mushrooms that no sort of meaty-flavored paste has to be used?

Back
Top Bottom