Recipe Mushrooms, Artichokes and Balsamic Glazed Garlic on Spelt Pancakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:44 PM
This warm salad is all about Autumn when these beautiful mushrooms and Jerusalem artichokes are in season. There are a lot of ingredients in this dish but several elements can be made ahead of time and re-heated just before serving (that is what I did). The spelt pancakes could be replaced with any other thin pancake or you could omit them and serve the dish with crusty bread instead. You could, of course substitute mushrooms of your choice. Chanterelles would look pretty. The pancake mix makes enough for 4 servings. The rest of the ingredients are listed as a serving for 2.

Ingredients:
For the pancakes (makes 6 to 8 pancakes depending on size)
150 g light spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
150 ml almond milk
150 ml water
A good pinch of salt
Oil for frying

For the artichokes, garlic, mushrooms and garnishes (this quantity serves 2)
3 to 4 Jerusalem artichokes (depending on size)
6 Portabellini mushroom
2 handfuls of La Trompettes de la Morte mushrooms
1 x clove of garlic, minced or grated
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
Garlic cloves from one large head of garlic, peeled
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
150ml water
1 x tsp sugar
10 capers plus a little caper brine from the jar
2 x pickled walnuts sliced into rounds
A little walnut oil
Lemon juice
A handful of rocket leaves

Method
For the pancakes:
  1. Place the spelt flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and mix together. Mix the almond milk and water together and gradually add the liquid to the flour, whisking with a fork as you go. Do this slowly, otherwise lumps will form. Keep adding the liquid until the mixture resembles single cream in consistency. You may not need all the liquid. Let the mix stand for at least ten minutes.
  2. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and pour in a ladle of batter, swirling it to form a thin layer. Cook for a few minutes until the top is not wet. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side. Repeat until you have a stack of pancakes. They can be reheated later in the microwave.
For the artichokes:
  1. Scrub the artichokes but do not peel. Slice them into coin shapes or slivers. Simmer in salted water until ‘al dente’. If you prefer you can cook them until tender (20 mins).
  2. Drain and toss the artichokes in a little walnut oil and lemon juice and keep them warm. If cooking ahead of time they can be re-heated later in the microwave.
For the balsamic glazed garlic:
  1. Place the balsamic vinegar and water in a small saucepan with the garlic cloves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
  2. Add the sugar and reduce until the liquid becomes a syrup. turn and coat each garlic clove in the syrup and set aside.
  3. Place the remaining syrup in a small dish (there will be about one tablespoonful) and mix in a few drops of the caper brine (to taste). Set aside. This will form the dreassing for the finished dish. You can warm the garlic through later if desired, or serve at room temperature
For the mushrooms:
  1. Heat the in a frying pan and add the minced garlic. Add the Portabellini mushrooms stalk side down and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Set aside and keep warm.
  2. Add the La Trompettes de la Morte to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
To assemble the finished dish place two warm pancakes on the base of each plate and arrange the artichokes. mushrooms, garlic cloves, capers, rocket and pickled walnuts on top and around. Drizzle with the Balsamic/caper dressing.

Last edited:
Another creative and beautifully plated effort! I've never made Jerusalem artichokes (which we call sunchokes here), but I understand they're closer to a potato than they are to an artichoke.

They are not really like potatoes - in fact I'd say they taste quite close to globe artichoke hearts. They are very, very, delicious and you can eat them raw, al dente or cooked tender. I prefer the latter. You really must try them! Can you get them where you are? They are in season here.

@The Late Night Gourmet

They are a root crop. The name Sun Chokes comes from the sunflower like bloom. The skin is very thin and is best removed with a stiff brush. The texture is more fibrous than a potato. The flavor is divine - a delicate earthiness. Beware - a SERIOUS gas bomb. I want to try @morning glory method of cooking. I usually include them in a braised meat dish - pork roast, or a stew. There is a Cajun name for them. I can say it but for the life of me I can not find a proper spelling.

A delicacy worth your time.

I'm fairly certain I can get them at an upscale market or two in my area. I will have to give this a try sometime soon.
You really must try sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes- they are so subtle and beautiful in taste. A little like salsify - I just managed to obtain some of that via an on-line supplier. I must post something about salsify...

Back
Top Bottom