Recipe Mushy Pea and Sprout Patties with Roasted Aubergine and Peppers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:58 PM
Mushy Pea and Sprout Patties with Roasted Aubergine and Peppers
These patties are made with mushy peas cooked from dried peas, rather than canned mushy peas. Its important to cook the peas right down until as much moisture is removed as possible. I don't know if this would work with canned mushy peas. It might well do, if you simmer them long enough to remove most of the liquid. The down side of home-made mushy peas is that they are a rather unappetising sludgy brown. Many of the tinned varieties have added colouring to make them bright green!

To compensate for the dull colour I added lots of parsley. And of course, the Brussels sprouts add to the colour. A grating of nutmeg and fresh turmeric lends an aromatic twist to the mix. (Serves 4).

Ingredients:
For the roasted aubergine and peppers:
1 aubergine chopped into 2 cm chunks
2 deseeded red peppers charred under a grill (broiler) or in a gas flame.
1 tbsp mango powder (amchoor)
1 tbsp paprika (unsmoked)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Generous splash of red wine

For the patties (makes 8 patties):
8 heaped tbsp mushy peas
8 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
8 heaped tbsp cooked sprouts (about 30 small sprouts)
1 inch piece of fresh turmeric, grated (or 3 tsp ground turmeric)
1/4 nutmeg, grated.
Salt to taste
Flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs to coat
Vegetable oil fro frying

Method
For the roasted aubergine and peppers:
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Place the aubergine pieces on a non-stick baking tray and toss them in vegetable oil. Roast them for 20 - 25mins, until tender.
  • Meanwhile, soften the chopped onion in the olive oil until translucent
  • Add the tin of tomatoes, strips of charred pepper, a splash of red wine, mango powder and paprika
  • Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes so that the sauce thickens
  • Add the roasted aubergine and heat through.
For the patties:
  • Mash the sprouts, mushy peas, chopped parsley, nutmeg and turmeric together. add salt to taste and form into 8 patties.
  • Dip them first into flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs.
  • Allow the patties to chill in the fridge for 1/2 an hour. You can make them in advance and leave them overnight, if you wish.
  • Fry the patties gently in a non-stick frying pan for approx. 5 minutes on each side.
DSCF2997.jpg

DSCF2999.jpg

Last edited:
I rushed to take a peek at what's happening and was just about to declare @classic33 the winner of the challenge (thinking he would be the only participant) and then I saw this entry. When I saw sprouts mentioned he was the person that came to mind. Yours is quite an interesting recipe. Sprouts.. What shall I do?

I rushed to take a peek at what's happening and was just about to declare @classic33 the winner of the challenge (thinking he would be the only participant) and then I saw this entry. When I saw sprouts mentioned he was the person that came to mind. Yours is quite an interesting recipe. Sprouts.. What shall I do?
I'm thinking you can't get sprouts?

I'm thinking you can't get sprouts?
I can if I look in the right supermarkets but we all know I have not been going to the supermarkets very much. I'd have to ask my husband to pick some up and hope they don't cost a fortune. They generally do. Still it would be nice to try some and see if they are as bad as some think. I haven't eaten any in ages.

Back
Top Bottom