Musicians in the news

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:51 AM
Neil Diamond announced his retirement due to Parkinson's Disease. A terrible, debilitating disease. A loss. Fortunately his music will live on.

Sir Elton John announced his final tour. I immediately went on line to reserve tickets for his NOLA appearance. NOT going to happen. Lowest priced ticket available - $579 each. :hyper:

I love Elton John and have seen him perform twice in the '90's. Expensive tickets then were $50 to $100. We had 3rd row seats on the left side - full view of Sir John's hands on the piano. There was no intermission. He took a 10 minute break to sit on the edge of the stage and sign autographs. An amazing performance. As much as I would love to see him perform on his final tour I can not justify the stupid, crazy ticket price. A shame. Only his rich fans can attend. :cry:

He came out on stage to join Ed Sheeran for a couple of songs in Sydney in 2015. A total surprise.

I balled my eyes out. Completely overwhelmed with emotion.

His tickets have always been upwards of $300 here & when he toured with Billy Joel low end tix were $500. I never ever thought I'd get to see him live. I loved BJ too back in the 80's & early 90's.

Neil Diamond announced his retirement due to Parkinson's Disease. A terrible, debilitating disease. A loss. Fortunately his music will live on.

Sir Elton John announced his final tour. I immediately went on line to reserve tickets for his NOLA appearance. NOT going to happen. Lowest priced ticket available - $579 each. :hyper:

@ElizabethB

I am so so sorry to hear about Neil Diamond .. I am a grand fan of many years .. Oh, my .. Yes, it is a horrendously debiliating disease ..

We are grand fans of Carlos Santana, Il Divo, Tina Turner, and Neil Diamond .. Amongst several Motown favorites and Spanish Language Vocalists and Italian Eros Ramazotti .. Love his video with Tina Turner filmed in a small Tuscan village .. It is absolutely amazing .. She rocks !!

I was terribly saddened by your post, regarding Neil Diamond ..

I loved The Fall and I've got a good few of the however-many albums they brought out.

I saw them live in Oxford back in the early 1980s. I went with three other people and we decided to go for a drink in a nearby pub before turning up at the venue. It was a bit of a shabby pub and there weren't many people in it. There was a small group of people drinking in a corner and I recognised Mark E Smith straight away. The band were knocking back a few before the gig, so at least we knew we weren't in danger of missing anything while that lot were boozing it up!

I lived in NOLA for 4 years - '84 - '88. Saw Billie Joel perform in a small local bar. Also saw Ray Charles perform in a very small venue - 25 bistro tables -= 50 people. My table was 10' from his piano. After his performance he walked the floor and shook hands with everyone in the audience. :woot: I did not wash my hands for a week!! Another small venue - the great Louis Armstrong. Love Tina Turner. She is no young chick but can still rock a stage. Her athleticism amazes me. Sad that she suffered so much at the hands of that animal she was married to. Willie Nelson at the Saenger Theater. Great performance. Numerous, amazing artist at Jazz Fest.

IDK if you are familiar with Aaron Neville. I have seen him perform several times both in NOLA and Lafayette. He is a big, bad ass biker looking dude with the voice of an angel.

My taste in music is very eclectic. I forgot to mention Ella Fitzgerald - the Queen of Scat. Mahailia Jackson - the Queen of Gospel. Unfortunately so many of the recordings of great artist are very poor quality.

I saw Pink Floyd in the 1990s...things I felt and saw at that show may or may not have been entirely due to what was in the set (like a giant pig flying over the audience).

But, the absolute best concert I ever saw was by Sir Paul McCartney. It was 3 years ago, so he was a sprightly young man of 72 years. Besides the performances being flawless, it was about a 3-hour-long show, and I don't think he took more than a few minutes in all that time to so much as sit down! I'm still in awe of what he's been able to do, and I'm very happy to know that I might actually be able to go see him again sometime. :headphone:

Back
Top Bottom