Mustard

@Yorky gave me the idea for this thread.

Do you like mustard? Yes
What types? English
Do you make your own? Only from mustard powder (Coleman's but more recently McGarret's).
What do you eat it with? Beef steak, gammon, pork pie and cold cooked ham (also in prepared piccalilli).
Do you use it in cooking? Yes - cauliflower cheese sauce and mustard and honey sauce,

[Edit: Yes, subsequent posts have reminded me, hot dogs and sometimes beef burgers]

Last edited:
Do you like mustard?
What types?
Do you make your own?
What do you eat it with?
Do you use it in cooking?

Do you like mustard?: I have always liked mustard - I remember my grandfather introducing me to it when I was a small child (along with a mouthful of bottled Guinness !), two memorable tastes ...

What types?: being in France, access to English (Coleman's) is almost impossible - so I use Dijon most of the time

Do you make your own?: along with @Yorky .. only from mustard powder, and then only when I'm lucky enough to be given some

What do you eat it with?: most 'pig products' and chicken (but I eat much less meat than I used to), and a hard strong cheese

Do you use it in cooking?: it's mandatory in cauliflower cheese, but I reckon it also enhances the taste of just about any cheese sauce

As a footnote, I used to use mustard seeds a lot in Indian cooking - but much less so recently

Do you like mustard? Yes
What types? English as a condiment. Others for cooking.
Do you make your own? No, we get 2.5l tubs from Bookers
What do you eat it with? Mainly pork, chicken, beef, ham.
Do you use it in cooking? Very much - English in cheese sauce, in a rub for pork or gammon. Dijon and wholegrain in various other sauces. Dijon is one of my 'go to' flavours when I'm tweaking a sauce. Making salad dressings. Sometimes put a dollop of English in a pan of baked beans for breakfast!

Do you like mustard? Yes
What types? Many German types, French, Chinese, English, Creole and that bright yellow mustard from French's.
Do you make your own? No, but I do use mustard powder in many dishes.
What do you eat it with? Pan fried Andouille (Cajun) with Creole, grilled chicken with 3 mustard sauce, Brats, knockwurst, hotdogs, etc.
Do you use it in cooking? Absolutely. As well as seeds.

Do you like mustard? Yes
What types? Any - prefer very hot ones
Do you make your own? No
What do you eat it with? Eggs, ham, sausages, beef, chips (I like American mustard with chips sometimes)
Do you use it in cooking? Yes - maybe not enough. In cheese sauce (always) but also other sauces and to glaze, marinade meat, salad dressings (of course)

We had mustard as 'spice of the month' a while ago. The top post has a bit of research I did about mustard and following on are lots of ideas and recipes from members: https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...ge-spice-of-the-month-june-2017-mustard.9808/

Last edited:
Do you like mustard? Yes.
What types? Everyone I've ever tried.
Do you make your own? Yes we have, Craig just forgot since it's been so long and I made it.
What do you eat it with? Sandwiches, pork, chicken.
Do you use it in cooking? Yes in lots of dishes, both seeds and paste forms.

I like a bit of wholegrain mustard mixed in with mayo and spread on a beef sandwich but other than that no mustard on my plate thank you.

Do you like mustard? Love it.

What types? Haven't tried one I didn't like, from German, to English, to French, to Oriental, to American.

Do you make your own? Very rarely, usually just from a tin of Coleman's, or doctoring up store bought mustards.

What do you eat it with? Ham, chicken, fish, cold cuts, hot dogs and other sausages, ribs, pulled pork, in a sauce on steaks, etc...

Do you use it in cooking? Fairly often. As a coating to help herbs and spices stick to the meat, as a glaze, in sauces, in marinades, in stir frys,...

Yellow & Dijon. I like mustard potato salad, or chicken cordon bleu spread with mustard or a mustard sauce, Ina Garten's mustard chicken, yellow on a hot dog, etcetera.

Last edited:
All types here as well. Colemans powder goes in my Mayo dressing. Tomato relish, curry onions , mustard save with corned beef. My fave, lol. I do hot hams for easter and new year, the glaze has honey grain mustard in it. I also use a lot of mustard seeds, yellow and brown for curries ans samosas. And I use American hot dog mustard as well for hot dogs and ham sammys. I use it a lot

Russ

Yellow & Dijon. I like mustard potato salad, or chicken cordon bleu spread with mustard or a mustard sauce, Ina Garten's mustard chicken, yellow on a hot dog, etcetera.

When you say 'yellow' what does that mean? sorry - its a language thing UK/US. Is yellow mustard what we call American mustard? The brand we have here is French's mustard - well, it does say 'yellow' on the pack!

40378011_0_640x640-3.jpg

I really am not a fan of thre condiment yellow mustard as a going concern , but it is a good ingredient to doctor up for glazes and sauces.

Back
Top Bottom