Large knob ginger grated
1 inch piece tumeric grated
2 small anchovy fillets
2 cups chicken stock
400 mls coconut milk
2 large green chillies sliced
Salt to taste

Method

Fry fenugreek, mustard, pepper, curry leaves, cardamon, cloves, and cinnamon in a little oil till mustard starts popping.
Add onion and fry a little longer, then curry powder, and continue frying. Add a little water if needed.
Add garlic, ginger, tumeric, and anchovies and fry another minute or so.
Pour in stock, and simmer for 20mins or so.
Add in coconut milk, green chillies, and continue on a low simmer until gravy reduces significantly and thickens. Around 1/2 hour.
Introduce eggs to sauce and warm through. Serve with basmati rice.

View: https://youtu.be/ABnCu6f8Jqw

This looks absolutely delicious. I'm a huge fan of egg curries - unfortunately I've an intolerance to coconut milk. What I usually do for these types of curry is substitute yoghurt which I think would probably work here.

What is in the Jaffna curry powder?

This looks absolutely delicious. I'm a huge fan of egg curries - unfortunately I've an intolerance to coconut milk. What I usually do for these types of curry is substitute yoghurt which I think would probably work here.

What is in the Jaffna curry powder?

I'm not sure if you get Peter Kuruvita on your TV in England. He is of Sri Lankan descent, but based in Australia. He's done quite a few cooking series now, but his first following his Sri Lankan roots is awesome.

Anyway, a long winded way of saying I trust anything Sri Lankan food wise Peter Kuruvita endorses... and this is his recipe for Jaffna Curry pwder.

Jaffna curry powder from Lands of the Curry Leaf by Peter Kuruvita

Oops, looks like there's a paywall to that link, after one visit.

Here's a the screenshots... I didn't use this recipe because I know the ready made powder I source is authentic (I've visited Jaffna back when it reopened for tourists when the Civil War ended).

I'm not sure if you get Peter Kuruvita on your TV in England. He is of Sri Lankan descent, but based in Australia. He's done quite a few cooking series now, but his first following his Sri Lankan roots is awesome.

Yep! I watched that and other series of his - they are excellent. I don't say this lightly as I find most non UK cooking shows poorly made, too shouty and too fast paced in many cases.

Anyway, a long winded way of saying I trust anything Sri Lankan food wise Peter Kuruvita endorses... and this is his recipe for Jaffna Curry pwder.

I can only access this if I become a member - and its a paying subscription. Can you copy & paste here?

Edit: sorry - I see you have done so

Hmm this jaffna powder has me intrigued....I'm playing with asia-pacific charcuterie at moment and thinking I can use this like I would inn an urutan sausage. I saw your post below with the ingredients so time to get playing in the 'test' kitchen :wink:

That looks unbelievably good. I love egg curries. Mind you, Sri Lankan food tends to be fiercely hot - not a problem for me, because I´m a chile freak - but could be important for others.

Back
Top Bottom