my Beef and mushroom stew version 2.0

bryan123

Local time
12:39 AM
hello friends,

based on the information I learned here I'm going to try the beef stew recipe again today with the following plan:

I'm going to sear/brown 1 1/2 pounds of chuck stew meat in a traditional stainless steel skillet and then deglaze the pan with red wine.
Add them to the slow cooker along with a small package of small whole button mushrooms, sliced carrot, celery, yukon gold potatoes, 1 cup beef stock, a squirt of tomato paste, dash of Worcestershire sauce and a little more red wine (?).

Cook on low for 10-11 hours.

Did I forget anything? Should I sear the mushrooms in the skillet?

Since wine is in the recipe is this beef bourguinon?

Thank you friends!

I'd cook the carrot, celery and tomato paste in the fat before deglazing, then add to the slow cooker. The mushrooms are a little soft already, so maybe I'd cook those on their own and add closer to the end.

I do have a beef burgundy slow cooker recipe, and it does exactly that - makes a mushroom-onion garnish on its own and adds it at the end. Interestingly, it also adds more wine at the end, simmering it a few minutes first to cook off some of the harshness.

My notes on that recipe: "Maybe the best damn thing I've ever eaten!!!"

Hope it goes well bryan123. Please report back (with photos if at all possible). :)
Here it is, before cooking...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the finished product. Good but not the "pop of perfection " I was hoping for. Maybe I didn't put in enough wine or tomato paste. I don't taste the wine and it's underseasoned. Improved with some pepper and my Emeril's Original Essence.

Here's a pic. Meat was fall apart tender and vegetables were perfectly cooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the finished product. Good but not the "pop of perfection " I was hoping for. Maybe I didn't put in enough wine or tomato paste. I don't taste the wine and it's underseasoned. Improved with some pepper and my Emeril's Original Essence.

Here's a pic. Meat was fall apart tender and vegetables were perfectly cooked.
It certainly looks good!

Back
Top Bottom