My Debit Card was Breached

My PayPal got compromised. It was drawing out of my bank account, and the rep down there convinced me to change my bank account - I was already shutting down PayPal.

Calling PayPal was a hoot - not. I told them I was being fraudulently charged for stuff, or just for money from the Ukraine and Russia - the bank actually told me where the charges were coming from, PayPal never sent me that info.... PayPal asked me if i wanted to increase my credit limit. I said - NO! I want it decreased to ZERO! (I wanted to close down the account completely, full deletion, but I was concerned about trying to get some of my scammed money back, and if I had no account left with them, could i do that?)

Oh, it did take about four lengthy tries to get a hold of anyone from PayPal who had two matches in their brain to rub together to HELP. If you ever do NEED to get a hold of them, search on Google for their customer service - within their site it extra-sucks.

Still an ongoing issue for portions of what I need fixed.

They did shut down my payments, but I am still also dealing with some idjit or so trying to buy junk from Apple and billing it to me. Don't know where they are, but since they are using a valid Apple billing connection, I haven't been able to shake this just yet - but since I also don't own a single Apple product today that would connect in to needing money for any reason - I just get text messages from PayPal about the stuff I'm "ordering" from Apple that has been declined. More than daily. (I am grateful my phone is not an I-phone right about now....) So I am not in a big rush to fix that one.

I did have some autopays on PayPal I had to re-direct.

I routinely get emails thanking me for my $xxx.yy purchase. your order number is $%^&*().
if you need to change or cancel this order, call (fraud phone)

all kinds of odd merchandise, computer security renewals, you name it.

however the sender's email address is typically very obviously bogus - and not from Apple.com or PayPal.com, etc.

they want you to call so they can politely cancel the order, and oh by the way please confirm your card number, address, etc etc -
I report them as pfishing.

here's one from today - stilted language, Texture in "Years" - if you google the phone number you find it's scammers
===========
Solutions <brummettd24@gmail.com>
Thu 7/8/2021 8:22 PM
Thanks For Order Service
Dear Customer Your Subscription with Our Services Renew Today.
If you are happy with Our Services Online Support Services Don’t Forget To Leave A feedback.

DESCRIPTION : -
Product : System Care Services
Quantity : 01
Texture : Years
Payment Method : Direct Debit
Mode : Online Delivery
Renewal Amount : $ 399.19
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
INVOICE TOTAL $ 399.19
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

Terms & Conditions :-
The payment is due ! you are receiving this notice because you are enrolled withAdvanced Protection and your subscription has been auto renewed.
If you have any question about this invoice.kindly contact our billing helpline number +1(888) 722 2408

From,
Services Team
Contact No. +1(800) 781-2511

I was forced to go through that several times! One of them was when some hacker got hold of my debit card # & started charging Lyft rides to my debit card!! I had to have the card canceled & be issued a new card. The real pain, like some of you said, is waiting for 2 weeks for another card!! I had to go all the way to the bank for money or write checks. Stores aren't too fond of personal checks. They will frown up at them, turning you down for purchases!!! But I got re-embursed over $100 that was fraudulently charged to my account. 😱 😡

Last edited:
At least none of you went through what happened to us.

We live remotely in the UK. No neighbours etc. The house backed onto woodland, farmland but mostly a military training area. 2½ acres of woodland came with the house. There was an army track leading to the house. The only access to it. It was about a mile or so to the nearest B road (country lane only marginally wider than single track). The house wasn't visible from, well anywhere except above. You just couldn't see it until you were 25 meters from it.

So, I'm out in the veg plot. Hiking boots on, skimpy dress, sunhat and a big outdoor knife. I'd literally just gone into it to pick some veg for our evening meal evening though it was mid afternoon.
I became aware of a number of vehicles driving up the track towards the house. Many vehicles. That was exceptionally odd. There was nothing but us up the track and no reason for anyone to come that way. They came around the sharp bend and there were 5 or 6 of them including 2 minibuses of uniformed men who poured out firearms raised, rifles and side arms all coming towards me, then fanning out...

Very quickly they backed down. They knew something was wrong. Wrong as in information, intelligence, conclusions etc...

I had by this time stepped out of the veg plot and realising I was still holding my outdoor knife, put that and the veg on the ground in front of me.

It turned out that someone had our credit card details and had tried to purchase chloroform online on a site that the drugs squad had been watching. The internet was still at the dialup modem stage. I have a honours degree in chemistry. And I went on to study a PhD in organic chemistry for 2½ years before I quit. So they tagged me as a drop out with the knowledge to use the chloroform to manufacture drugs The woodland and remote location of our home, no neighbours and a greenhouse that was white washed (its actually a sunshading used to protect plants etc), credit card on a drugs site and so on lead them to conclude that we were naturally processing drugs at our home.... so they came in heavy handed just in case.

Had the have 'lost' their dog in the woodland like many people on the open access military land did, knocked on our door and asked if they could enter the woodland to look for it, they would have very quickly ascertained what they were after, but instead I got 2 minibuses of armed police and another 3 vehicles also all occupants armed raiding our home all to let me know our credit card details had been stolen.

Somehow it seemed a little overkill. 🤔

I do have a debit card here but it's primary use is as an ATM card. I've probably used it as a debit card twice in 20 years. What my bank does have is a "shopping card" which is a virtual card (supported by VISA) but may be limited in use to whatever maximum amount you wish. Mine at the present time is limited to ฿2,000.00 (about £45.00) but I can set in at any level. Should I need to make an online purchase in excess of ฿2,000.00, then I contact my bank online to increase the limit by the "one time password" method (sent to my phone). This takes all of 20 seconds. Following confirmation of the purchase*, I then re-adjust the limit, again by "one time password" sent to my phone. Up to now it's been foolproof.

*I receive an SMS from the bank to confirm this.

The "chip" feature that's on all credit & debit cards is supposed to prevent fraudulent use of the card by blocking out access of personal info gained by hackers or thieves. But I think that they somehow work they way around that.

The "chip" feature that's on all credit & debit cards is supposed to prevent fraudulent use of the card by blocking out access of personal info gained by hackers or thieves. But I think that they somehow work they way around that.

As my virtual debit card does not have a physical chip I should be OK. Unless a bank employee decides to take a few bob. Which has happened in the past on more than one occasion.

[Edit: but not to me............yet]

I pay cash for gas. And for online transactions, I use use a loadable card which I never have more than what I will need loaded on it. This loadable card is free and without fees. If you use a loadable card, there's a trick to getting one that is without fees to reload it.

Back
Top Bottom