My driver's license was renewed today!!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:21 PM
I managed to get my driver's license renewed today!! I thought that it would be plagued with stumbling blocks, but it was a cinch. No problem at all! I'll probably be getting a car next year!! :whistling:

A car is quite the gadget!

Yup!! Leaning toward a Toyota Camry again!! Been saving up the money for a down payment, if needed. :whistling: :whistling:

I had to renew my license at 65. I'm getting a medical certificate from doc next week to keep my truck licenses. That will last until I'm 70.
License $48
Doc $52
Truck med $52
Reissue license $48

I dont know if I will use it again but just in case I'm doing it.

Russ

Better to have it & don't need it, than to need it & don't have it!!! :whistling:

Driving licences in Thailand.

A saga.

If you stay in Thailand less than 3 months at one time it is legal to drive on your home country licence (some countries, not all).

If you stay for over 3 months at any one time, you need to obtain a Thai driving licence in order to drive legally.

I obtained my first Thai driving licence in 2002 and required only my UK licence (or IDP), a recent photograph and confirmation that I could differentiate between the colours red, yellow (not amber) and green. Together with the equivalent of US$3.00 that entitled me to a one year Thai driving licence.

After one year, I could then apply for a 5 year Thai driving licence. However, I applied, and thought sensibly, for the second licence two days before the one year licence expired.

Wrong! I hadn't held a driving licence for 1 year at that time (only 363 days) so I had to obtain another 1 year Thai licence (a further US$3.00).

Everything has gone very smoothly since then and I am now in possession of a Thai driving licence until 2025. A five year licence costs me around $15.00.

I had to renew my license at 65. I'm getting a medical certificate from doc next week to keep my truck licenses. That will last until I'm 70.
License $48
Doc $52
Truck med $52
Reissue license $48

I dont know if I will use it again but just in case I'm doing it.

Russ

Some provinces require a medical certificate in order to obtain/renew your licence. They cost less than 1 US$ from any local clinic. No examination is necessary.

Here, you can go to any driver’s exam station in the state to get/renew your license. Each county has a station, so in Ohio, that’s 88 stations.

When I tested for my license at 16, the closest station to me, in my home county, was in Hamilton, a decently-sized city, with confusing things like turn lanes and four-lane divided streets and other such nonsense.

I opted to go to the next county up, where the station was in small village. Much easier to get the test done.

What did my driving test consist of? We walked out to the car (parked on the street in front of the station), got in, started off, drove about 50 feet to the stop sign, turned right, drove to the next stop sign and turned right, again, pulled into the parking lot behind the building where they had their maneuverability cones set up, drove through those, and parked the car.

All done in less than 10 minutes, and I didn’t have to make a single left turn, never went over 15mph, didn’t even make a full circuit around the block!

Here, you can go to any driver’s exam station in the state to get/renew your license. Each county has a station, so in Ohio, that’s 88 stations.

When I tested for my license at 16, the closest station to me, in my home county, was in Hamilton, a decently-sized city, with confusing things like turn lanes and four-lane divided streets and other such nonsense.

I opted to go to the next county up, where the station was in small village. Much easier to get the test done.

What did my driving test consist of? We walked out to the car (parked on the street in front of the station), got in, started off, drove about 50 feet to the stop sign, turned right, drove to the next stop sign and turned right, again, pulled into the parking lot behind the building where they had their maneuverability cones set up, drove through those, and parked the car.

All done in less than 10 minutes, and I didn’t have to make a single left turn, never went over 15mph, didn’t even make a full circuit around the block!
I didn't want to go through that whole thing again. That's why I had to act fast. If I waited until after my birthday, it would've been too late, & I'd have to start off as a new driver all over again!! Learning how to drive all over again! Studying the book & taking the road test again. That would've been a real hassle! 😡

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom