My Family Needs More Fish!

Kate

Veteran
Local time
6:38 PM
I really need to find a way to serve more fish to my family. Okay, scratch that... I actually *have* been serving fish a lot more often, so what I need is some great recipes that don't use strange ingredients.

I'd like this to be relatively low calorie, so breaded fish of any kind isn't the best idea for serving... any ideas on how to serve a nice piece of haddock, tilapia, or salmon to "mix it up" a little bit and avoid the family getting tired of the "same old thing"?

Salmon with Black Cherry Sauce, I've had something very similar to this at a local restaurant and it was amazing:
http://www.theardentepicure.com/2010/03/recipe-barbequed-salmon-with-black.html

You could mix up a cajun seasoning blend and blacken the fish in a cast iron skilled with some butter and the seasoning. It's really not that fattening since most of the butter stays in the pan.

You could even make breaded fish more healthy by baking it. Just get some whole grain seasoned breadcrumbs and toast them gently first in a frying pan until they get a darker brown and start to smell nutty. Then transfer them to a bowl and add a small amount of olive oil and mix thoroughly until they become crumbly again. Do the standard egg wash, then bread the fish and bake as usual. This gives it that "fried" coating that most baked breaded stuff doesn't ever really develop.

A plum sauce is great over grilled Tuna.

Thank you so much, OhioTom76... this is exactly the type of thing I had in mind. :thumbsup:

Salmon definitely isn't one of my favorite foods, but when it's made in ways that isn't "just plain salmon" I like it. And black cherry sauce sounds very special... as does the plum sauce. I assume that it would work with other fish in addition to tuna, too... I'll have to get busy and find a recipe for it now!

Personally I don't like fish that much, so I try to get my healthy dose of fish from tuna and sardines on top of bread.

You did mention not liking salmon that much, but it's also one of the most versatile fishes you can cook. Smoked salmon (not cold smoked) is always a good choice and if you want to make it a bit more special, add some blue cheese before smoking. It does sound strange but it's great!

Also you could try using salmon as a part of appetizers. For example, small pieces of cold smoked salmon, some lemon juice, creme fraiche and different herbs and spices makes for a great paste which can be served with white bread. (usually a baguette)

I like to make a nice and simple tuna bake, no strange ingredients and it's quite quick and feeds 4-6 (depending on the quantitiy of ingredients of course, for more, just add more ingredients)

Boil some shell pasta or macaroni which ever you like, any pasta really except for spagetti.
Drain the water, then add two small can's of tuna in brine(don't add the brine water) and a tin of cream style sweetcorn. You can do it in the same pot that you made the pasta in. Mix well and cook for a few minutes, just to warm everything up really.
Then pour it all into a deep-ish ovenproof dish, grate some cheese over it and bake it on the oven until the cheese is melted and maybe a bit crispy, depends on how you like it. You can also mix in a chesse sauce before putting it in the oven dish for some extra saucyness.

I have a really easy one for you. Spicy Basil Fish. And you can use just about any kind of fish you want for this one, just make sure it is a filet, without bones.

Just saute a chopped onion and about 3 cloves of garlic, then add your fish to it, either whole or chopped into your preferred size. While the fish and the onion and garlic are frying along, make a mixture of about 2 tablespoons of sugar, soy sauce and hot chili sauce with 1 tablespoon of water, and pour it into the pan. Let it all fry together for about 10 minutes, and then add either fresh basil leaves or dry basil powder. Two good pinches should be enough. Serve it with hot, steaming rice.

I like to make a nice and simple tuna bake, no strange ingredients and it's quite quick and feeds 4-6 (depending on the quantitiy of ingredients of course, for more, just add more ingredients)

Thank you for this, Sandman! I've made a number of different tuna bakes, but never with creamed corn. I think we'd like that. I'll probably do it without the cheese sauce mixed in.... I'd like the cheese over top, but not real sure about a cheese sauce mixed right in with the corn.

I have a really easy one for you. Spicy Basil Fish. And you can use just about any kind of fish you want for this one, just make sure it is a filet, without bones.

Nice, Chris_A... thank you! No problem here about using a filet... it's all I buy, and even then a bone sneaks in sometimes. I have all of these ingredients and didn't know what I was going to do with the fish... now I do!

I have the dried basil leaves... I'm thinking it may be even more flavorful with the fish than fresh, so I'm going to give it a try. Well, I have mild chili sauce instead of hot, but it will work just as well, I'm sure.

Is there a side veggie you can suggest? I'm *so* wanting to add some new combinations to our usual meal rotations. Trying new recipes is my very favorite thing to do.

I think boiled broccoli or zucchinis would go very well with this meal, but just try out anything that you like. For me, the most fun I get from cooking, is trying out new things and modifying existing recipes. :D Also, mild chili sauce works as well, for sure. Just try using regular soy sauce, and not the light variety. Light soy sauce has a weird aftertaste, at least the one that I can get here in my country.

Due to the price of fish in the UK at the moment I tend to rely on canned tuna a lot for meals. With this I make tuna pasta bake (this varies- sometimes it has sweetcorn, sometimes broccoli and sometimes tomatoes and peppers), homemade fishcakes or simple tuna salad or sandwiches. On the occasions that I do cook fish, I don't think you can beat the simplicity or steaming it or baking in tin foil parcels in the oven. Occasionally I make kedgeree. This is a dish with rice, curry powder and smoked fish. Other ingredients vary depending on the recipe you read. Some people add peas and others add mushrooms and onions. It is usually topped with either sliced hard boiled egg or poached eggs, the latter being my personal preference.

Due to the price of fish in the UK at the moment I tend to rely on canned tuna a lot for meals. With this I make tuna pasta bake (this varies- sometimes it has sweetcorn, sometimes broccoli and sometimes tomatoes and peppers), homemade fishcakes or simple tuna salad or sandwiches. On the occasions that I do cook fish, I don't think you can beat the simplicity or steaming it or baking in tin foil parcels in the oven. Occasionally I make kedgeree. This is a dish with rice, curry powder and smoked fish. Other ingredients vary depending on the recipe you read. Some people add peas and others add mushrooms and onions. It is usually topped with either sliced hard boiled egg or poached eggs, the latter being my personal preference.

These are great ideas for cooking fish. Fishcake sounds very interesting. Do you by chance have a simple recipe for it? I would like to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom