My Favorite Online Recipe Site... Yum!

Kate

Veteran
Local time
8:02 AM
I have found some *great* recipes at allrecipes dot com. It's like a big customized cookbook that's filled with my favorites! They have a "recipe box" where I can store my favorites.. but the best feature is the reviews. That's how the recipes I've used from there have all turned out so great... I can see what hundreds of other people said about it before attempting the recipe. :thumbsup:

Another thing I like is that within those reviews, people often mention things they did differently or substituted... that has been very valuable to me. Something like "this wasn't nearly finished in the 30 minutes the recipe calls for... I did mine for 45 minutes and it was perfect" is vital in recipes turning out well vs. a disaster.

Last thing I like is that these tons of recipes are from real people submitting them from their own kitchens, not some test kitchen coming up with experimental recipes that people may or may not like.

I love the site as well. My favorite thing about it would have to be the ability to search for recipes based on ingredients. This is really handy when you have too much of something and you ran out of ideas on what to do with it. We had too much asparagus this past summer and had no idea what to do with it after handing out a bunch to family and friends. We normally just boil it and add some salt and butter. AllRecipes made going through it a lot more fun and interesting.

Most of the reviews are helpful as you said, in case you need to substitute something or add a little more of an ingredient.

The other great thing is the ability to select how many servings you want to make and it automatically updates the amount of each ingredient used! No more calculating it in your head!

I agree with all of the above posts! I love being able to search based on the ranking as well. If thousands of people have cooked the recipe and gave it a solid score it is guaranteed to be good. But aside from allrecipes.com, I just love finding recipes on vegan cooking blogs. I'm pretty new to vegan cooking so I don't feel confident enough to start exploring on my own just yet. Therefore, I've really been enjoying learning about new ingredients and how to create vegan versions of dishes I love. I also love blogs with lots of pictures! One of my favorite sites is Oh She Glows: http://ohsheglows.com/

I like AllRecipes.com too, and was my favorite recipe site for years. Lately I moved to Betty Crocker's recipe site, where not necessarily their products are part of the ingredients of a recipe. The site has also a recipe box and many features that I really like.

However I found now another place that is resulting best to me because they also provide useful ideas for cooking and baking decoration, besides recipes and tips. The official page of the Taste of Home magazine, http://www.tasteofhome.com

Thanks for sharing! This is an amazing site and quite awe-inspiring with its countless recipes ! Well-done!

Thanks for sharing! This is an amazing site and quite awe-inspiring with its countless recipes ! Well-done!

I realized recently that out of our last dozen or so new family recipes, all but one of them were found at allrecipes.com. I know that it takes a while to go through all of the reviews, but things like "this is way too much butter, cut the amount in half and it's still delicious" are very important so I take the time for it.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I will most likely be going there later today and getting some ideas for a new Thanksgiving dish or two.

I had just recently heard this cooking sites from the above posts...Thanks guys for posting and sharing this information and I am already excited to navigate the following sites for more recipes and interesting cooking adventures. :)

I have never heard of this site before. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check it out. Usually I get recipes from Youtube videos and things like that. Don't do much cookbook recipes, or website research. After hearing about allrecipies.com though I'll definitely be cooking more now!

Back
Top Bottom