My least used kitchen gadget

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:46 AM
Do you have kitchen gadgets which you rarely (if ever) use? And if you hardly ever use them why have you still got them?

Melon scoop/ball - now I just slice the melon
Pastry cutter - I don't make pastry
Cheese wire/slicer - use a knife.

All of these items were from grandma and even though I do not use them, I have an attachment to them because I have clear memories (happy) of using them with my grandma when I was a kid. . So they stay in the drawer and make me smile every time I open the drawer.

An elongated (one blade) hand mixer/blender. I use it only for making mayo - which happens maybe once or twice a year. I prefer a two-bladed mixer (with whipping and dough-making blades) and a solid tabletop blender (for crushing nuts, making smoothies, purées etc.). Egg slicer doesn't take much storing space, so we keep it in the drawer with the ice cream scoop, melon scoop, garlic crusher, sauce ladle/clamshell and apple corer though we hardly use them.

All of these items were from grandma and even though I do not use them, I have an attachment to them because I have clear memories (happy) of using them with my grandma when I was a kid. . So they stay in the drawer and make me smile every time I open the drawer.

That is an excellent reason to keep them. So....

Pastry cutter - I don't make pastry

Maybe you should make pastry just once to honour your grandma. :okay:

Wok -- I use it once or twice a year.

KA Stand Mixer -- again, once or twice a year.

Panini press -- I used it a lot when I got it, but now I rarely think about it.

All Clad stainless roasting pan -- at least ten years old, used maybe once. Got in on huge discount. :facepalm:

CD

I have a crazy-expensive electric skillet, I should use that more, but it's put away and I rarely think to use it, plus, because of the heating element, it's pretty unwieldy to clean, even though it's immersible.

Back
Top Bottom