My mustards

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:40 PM
Was cleaning out a food cupboard earlier (a rare event, by the way) and found I had seven jars, two squeezy bottles and one tin of mustard (there were two jars of the Daylesford Strong English and two bottles of French's Yellow). The middle one in the photo is Tarragon mustard and very delicious it is. How many types of mustard do you have and how do you use them?

At the moment, I just have two, American yellow (Plochman's) and a "country Dijon" (coarse, Grey Poupon).

I just used up my German mustard, threw out a nearly-empty tube of another German mustard, threw out a nearly-empty bottle of a local "sweet 'n' spicy" mustard, and we also just finished a brown spicy ballpark mustard (Stadium).

I've never really got on with German mustard which I find too sweet. Maybe I never had a good one.
German mustard, like any mustard, runs the gamut. The absolute hottest mustard I ever had was a German mustard. It actually made me dizzy. The two I had in the fridge were a very sweet one (Händlmaier's - and they make a whole line of mustards and sauces), and a more vinegary one, a lot like a smooth Dijon (I forget the name).

I forgot to mention how I use them: on sandwiches, of course, and in vinaigrettes, and to make pan sauces, and to make dipping sauces, like a honey-mustard dipping sauce, or a maytard sauce (mayo and mustard).

Fun fact, in the little community where my wife is from, the "s" in mustard is silent. They all say "moo-tard," owing to the French influence, I'd imagine.

Sweet hot grainy German
Blackberry mustard
Creole mustard
Yellow mustard
Dijon, smooth and grainy
Chinese hot

We just bought the yellow cause we were out. It just hit me as I was sitting here typing that we still have some LOT of mustard seed left from the challenge last summer and we should have made some yellow.

I did just find a bottle of French's Dijon in the cupboard. It's a smooth mustard.

I do have whole mustard seed and ground mustard as well. I wasn't counting that.

I'm a bit low right now. My normal stock is Plockman's yellow mustard, Inglehoffer stone ground, and Dijon mustard.

For Chinese style hot mustard, I blend yellow mustard and Sriracha. For honey mustard, I blend local honey with Dijon.

CD

That's the one I need to try then. Any idea what its called?

That sounds interesting. What is in it besides mustard?
Uses whole brown mustard seeds, white vinegar/white wine vinegar and has horseradish in it as well. Depending on the recipe, it could have turmeric, molasses, red and black pepper and herbs as well.

Back
Top Bottom