Myths about Lawry's Seasoned Salt

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
1:02 AM
When I grew up, I remember my grandparents talking about myths associated with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. According to them, some people said magic or voodoo was the secret behind this popular product. Of course, no proof was evident to support this theory.

No, I haven't heard any myth related to to Lawry's seasoned salt, but grandma stories about how she used it in different recipes, including a Voodoo Crawfish Enchiladas that are probably the origin of the myth.

My aunt once told me that it had MSG in it and that's what made it so popular and addicting. I love putting it on my breakfast potatoes. It is so tasty, but so salty.

I practically grew up on Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I'm surprised that I don't have hypertension. I never heard of any myth associated with it. I don't use much salt while cooking.

I think it does have some MSG in it, or at least something very similar to MSG, such as yeast extracts and other things that are allowed to slip under the MSG label by the FDA. I have a bottle sitting around, but I'm not much of a fan of it. It has too distinct of a taste, and it kind of makes food taste like processed food imo. Whenever it is in or on something I can spot it right away. Personally I'm more of a fan of Morton Season All, which doesn't have that MSG taste to it. It's also a different flavor from Lawry's, I think maybe it has more corriander or something similar - can't quite put my finger on it.

We do not use too much salt or what you called seasoned salt in our cooking because we are just aware to eat healthy and we do restrict salt in our diet. Yes I know those seasoned salt had magic which makes cooking foods really delicious. But whatever it is we eat just having a simple taste rather than a seasoned taste for our foods.

Back
Top Bottom