Recipe Nasi goreng with chicken (fried rice)

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
6:22 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
1589946057035.png

Ingredients:
300 g cooked and cooled rice, preferably made the day before
350 g diced chicken meat
100 g frozen peas
1 medium onion (cut in small dice)
3 centimeters of fresh ginger
4 cloves grated fresh garlic
2 tbsp sambal badjak OR 1 medium fresh red lombok chilli, thinly sliced (unless you love heat, then use both)
1 tsp trassi (dried shrimp paste)
2 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp ketjap asin (salty soy sauce)
1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tbsp shredded coconut
Coconut oil
A wok
Grated black pepper to taste

Method:
1) Put some coconut oil in the wok and fry the onions on low heat. When golden, add the chicken and brown it a little on medium heat. Then add the garlic, ginger, sambal/chilli, trassi and peas and turn the heat lower again. When softened, add the ketjap, 5 spice, palm sugar, tomato paste and coconut. You should have a brown semi liquid spice mix in your wok now. If not, add 100 ml of water until the mixture is glossy and thick.

2) Now add the rice tablespoon by tablespoon. Every spoonful of rice should be fully colored before you add the next. Keep an eye on the heat, you don't want to burn anything. Keep stirring. Eventually you will have used all the rice and your rice will look like the above picture. That's when it's ready to serve.

*Note; it's hard to give exact timings or exact amounts on this dish. It really depends much on the cooks preference, and the way the rice gets fried. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to get the dish right.

View attachment 40962
Ingredients:
300 g cooked and cooled rice, preferably made the day before
350 g diced chicken meat
100 g frozen peas
1 medium onion (cut in small dice)
3 centimeters of fresh ginger
4 cloves grated fresh garlic
2 tbsp sambal badjak OR 1 medium fresh red lombok chilli, thinly sliced (unless you love heat, then use both)
1 tsp trassi (dried shrimp paste)
2 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp ketjap asin (salty soy sauce)
1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tbsp shredded coconut
Coconut oil
A wok
Grated black pepper to taste

Method:
1) Put some coconut oil in the wok and fry the onions on low heat. When golden, add the chicken and brown it a little on medium heat. Then add the garlic, ginger, sambal/chilli, trassi and peas and turn the heat lower again. When softened, add the ketjap, 5 spice, palm sugar, tomato paste and coconut. You should have a brown semi liquid spice mix in your wok now. If not, add 100 ml of water until the mixture is glossy and thick.

2) Now add the rice tablespoon by tablespoon. Every spoonful of rice should be fully colored before you add the next. Keep an eye on the heat, you don't want to burn anything. Keep stirring. Eventually you will have used all the rice and your rice will look like the above picture. That's when it's ready to serve.

*Note; it's hard to give exact timings or exact amounts on this dish. It really depends much on the cooks preference, and the way the rice gets fried. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to get the dish right.

Very nice!
I have only a question: what is sambal badjak ?

Very nice!
I have only a question: what is sambal badjak ?

A fried Indonesian paste made with chillies and onion. Sambal = chilli paste badjak = fried. It's available in stores here, but not everywhere in Europe so that's why I created the option to replace it with a lombok or red chilli pepper.

I'm sorry, but I cheat when I make nasi goreng.

I add a little soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to balance the dish to my taste, but otherwise this works for me. I use one teaspoon if I want it mild, two if I want it hot, and three if I want to see Lullabelle sweat.

I'm sorry, but I cheat when I make nasi goreng.

View attachment 40977

I add a little soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to balance the dish to my taste, but otherwise this works for me. I use one teaspoon if I want it mild, two if I want it hot, and three if I want to see Lullabelle sweat.

Look I am not going to judge. If you like it, go you.

But this hurts my Indo heart. It's like pizza with pineapple for an Italian.

Back
Top Bottom