National Roast Pheasant Day

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:07 PM
Today is National Roast Pheasant Day. No, I didn't know that either until a few minutes ago. Have you ever eaten pheasant? Can you get pheasants where you live? How do you like to cook them?

Its game season here in the UK and if I travel a bit to a decent butcher I can buy pheasant. Last time I cooked one was about a month ago (last year's pheasant from my friend's freezer) and I pot roasted it. Here is the 'before roasting' photo with the bird browned beforehand. A good splash of brandy and a bit of cream was added to make a sauce from the juices after cooking.

fullsizeoutput_3a50.jpeg

Most often, I see Cornish game hens, not pheasant. One of my favorite ways to prepare poultry/fowl, is spatchcocking -- removing the backbone & flattening the bird (a la Jacques Pepin).

Jacques Pépin's Quick-Roasted Chicken
with garlic, mustard, herbs de provence, and white wine.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...ques-pepins-quick-roasted-chicken-recipe.html

Spatchcock pheasant would work very well. I must try it.

Curious, I looked up Cornish game hen as we don't have them by that name here. It seems that Cornish game hens aren't really game at all but a broiler chicken - that is according to Wiki:

In the United States, a Cornish game hen, also sometimes called a Cornish hen, poussin, Rock Cornish hen, or simply Rock Cornish, is a hybrid chicken sold whole. Despite the name, it is not a game bird. Rather, it is a broiler chicken, the most common strain of commercially raised meat chickens. Though the bird is called a "hen", it can be either male or female. A Cornish hen typically commands a higher price per pound than typically sold chickens, despite a shorter growing span of 28 to 30 days, as opposed to 42 or more for regular chicken.

Wasn't aware it was National Pheasant Day! They are in ready supply around here - big shooting country. A brace straight from a shoot will only cost £2 - £3 if you don't mind prepping them yourself. Cheap, healthy food! Ready prepped from a butcher or game dealer they will cost around £5 each. Traditionally they are 'hung' until 'high', but that's probably not to most people's tastes these days. I will certainly be making the most of them in the coming weeks.

Pheasant hunting is a lot of fun (no MG, not for the pheasant).
I've gone several times, but was only successful twice.

There's something to be said about hunting, cleaning, and cooking them all in the same day. Delicioso!

Never had pheasant or grouse or any game hen. My nana had chooks for the family. I grew up seeing chooks despatched for dinner. I've done it myself. I think I would like it though.

Russ

I haven't tried pheasant, but do recall seeing it on the menu years ago at fancy restaurants, i e pheasant under glass. Not a fan of anything that tastes gamey, but if it looked as pretty as your dish, I would give it a try. Duck a l'orange is as gamey as I get.

Back
Top Bottom