National Taco Day

cookieee

Local time
4:24 AM
DH informed me this morning that there has been a change of plans for dinner tonight. He was going to marinate some chicken wings. Instead, he informed me that today is "National TACO Day". So guess what we will be having for dinner tonight? :pepper::headshake::thumbsdown: To be honest, he does keep them pretty mild for me.

How do you all feel about TACO's? Do you like them, do you make them?

Last edited:
Yes, we like them, and we eat them probably once a month or so, but we're very basic - just ground beef tacos.

Neither of us care for shredded chicken tacos, or steak tacos, or shredded beef tacos, or fish tacos, or any kind of pork tacos. Just regular old ground beef ones (though we did have a mix of ground beef and ground turkey last week).

I will eat them but they aren't my favourite dish and I very rarely make them. I'm not keen on 'wraps' in general. They always seem more like street food or snack food than dinner, to me. I'm also not keen on all that flatbread in a meal.

But the fillings I like - and the spicier the better!

I will eat them but they aren't my favourite dish and I very rarely make them. I'm not keen on 'wraps' in general. They always seem more like street food or snack food than dinner, to me. I'm also not keen on all that flatbread in a meal.

We use nice and crispy Taco shells. Not a wrap, nor sandwich or a pizza, wrong place? Do we have a place for National .....? Day?

We use nice and crispy Taco shells. Not a wrap, nor sandwich or a pizza, wrong place? Do we have a place for National .....? Day?

I know its supposed to be crispy but to me its still 'something in flatbread'. I moved this thread to a better home...

Crispy tacos are the only food that makes me angry while I eat it, because they always break apart.

Not a big fan but I do make them, normally my kids idea , they will ask occasionally for something different. They love chillies.

Russ

As I mentioned somewhere else, I eat a lot of tacos. I'm more likely to make a couple tacos than to make a sandwich when I want an easy, handheld meal or snack. I always have some flour tortillas in the fridge -- corn tortillas dry out too quickly to keep around. Crunchy taco shells don't work for me, either, TR.

My favorite tacos are Baja fish tacos, but I usually go out for those. You don't have to look hard to find good tacos in Texas.

At home, I generally use grilled chicken or steak. I can grill a bunch of meat in advance, and toss together a few tacos anytime I get hungry and need a quick bite. I keep my tacos pretty simple.

Homemade steak tacos...

TacoDay001.jpg

... and chicken tacos...

ChickTacos-8-19.jpg

CD

Flatbread, as I know it, is thicker than flour tortillas -- maybe twice as thick. You don't get a bread overload with a flour tortilla. Corn tortillas are more traditionally Mexican, and even thinner than flour tortillas. But, corn tortillas have a shelf life of hours, before they become dry and brittle. They should really be made fresh minutes before you assemble your taco. Then, they are wonderful!

CD

Thanks MG, this home is much better. 😍

Normally they do come under 'Sandwiches, Pizzas and Wraps'. The section headings are 'catch all' to avoid having literally hundreds of sections. You need to read the blurb under the heading to see what's included:

Normally they do come under 'Sandwiches, Pizzas and Wraps'. The section headings are 'catch all' to avoid having literally hundreds of sections. You need to read the blurb under the heading to see what's included:

View attachment 33006

Being an international food forum, it's hard to place things in categories, I guess. As mentioned before, here in Texas, tacos are so common that they are just like sandwiches, pizzas and wraps. Certainly not just for "holidays, celebrations and traditions." Many of us eat at least as many tacos as sandwiches. You can get wraps here, but I would bet Texans consume burritos about 10-to-1 over wraps. Probably 20-to-one tacos to wraps -- maybe more. Texas Monthly magazine (the National Magazine of Texas) actually has a Taco Editor, as well as a BBQ Editor.

Announcing Five New Hires, Including Our First Taco Editor!

The best tacos come from Taquerias, which are often hole-in-the-wall places where most of the customers are from Mexico. If you walk into a taqueria, and it is packed, and everyone is speaking Spanish, you picked a good place. That bothers some Mercans, but those are the places I seek out.

Then there's breakfast tacos. That a whole other topic.

CD

Tacos, with all the fixins are great and we have them (homemade) several times a year. One of my favorite fillings is Texican Shredded Pork. Has anyone had "Puffy Tacos"?

Recipe - Texican Shredded Pork

I make shredded pork and carnitas tacos, but have never even eaten a puffy taco -- although it is on my "to-do" list.

CD

Back
Top Bottom